Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 09:21 PM

Re: Job for the men I think.

I’m still waiting on Judd, he asked me a question, then seemed to do a runner!.

Wakey, wakey, Judd....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 09:24 PM

Pauline, can you leave it open

Saying that yesterday I couldn't open my sliding patio door it was frozen shut
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Pauline, can you leave it open

Saying that yesterday I couldn't open my sliding patio door it was frozen shut
I have just this minute opened it, Susan, I don’t want the same performance tomorrow, that I had today, not until I get some Vaseline anyway, thank you.

Others on the list, silicon spray.
WD 40.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I have just this minute opened it, Susan, I don’t want the same performance tomorrow, that I had today, not until I get some Vaseline anyway, thank you.

Others on the list, silicon spray.
WD 40.
Just of interest why does the gate freeze up? I mean if there is no ice?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Anti- freeze, lethal to my dog, if ingested,I wouldn’t even keep that in my house, but thanks anyway,ST, thank you,Mags, I’m thinking about smothering it in Vaseline.

My side gate is wooden and swells every winter, rather than freezes. When it swells, I managed to force it open to get the bins out, then that's it. I can't shut it until the weather warms up.

Every year it's the same. I've tried allsorts. I've even shaved the areas that catch with a Stanley knife (yes, I know but I've nothing else to use ) and sandpaper. I've then used WD40 and/or Vaseline. It's always a waste of time for mine so I don't know why I bother

So once opened, I just have to push it to and stack some rocks to keep it 'together' so it looks as if it's closed, plus it stops the wind from opening it.

TBH it's a pain. The garage door is the same... not the main one, the side one.

Bah humbug.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

08-02-2021, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
My side gate is wooden and swells every winter, rather than freezes. When it swells, I managed to force it open to get the bins out, then that's it. I can't shut it until the weather warms up.

Every year it's the same. I've tried allsorts. I've even shaved the areas that catch with a Stanley knife (yes, I know but I've nothing else to use ) and sandpaper. I've then used WD40 and/or Vaseline. It's always a waste of time for mine so I don't know why I bother

So once opened, I just have to push it to and stack some rocks to keep it 'together' so it looks as if it's closed, plus it stops the wind from opening it.

TBH it's a pain. The garage door is the same... not the main one, the side one.

Bah humbug.

I had that problem with my last wooden gate,Pesta, I shaved part of the bottom off, with a hacksaw, what a mess I made, this new one is very wet, where it rained here for a few days, then of course, last night it froze...problem solved tomorrow I hope, when I purchase those products,
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 09:48 PM

Problem with smothering in Vaseline is you’ll get covered every time you open it, I’m assuming it’s the bolt that’s freezing, you could use wd40 or a silicone spray, or you could just run some source of heat over the bolt (not water), a lighter or cooker igniter or even a match, you don’t need to get it hot just enough to melt any ice...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

08-02-2021, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Problem with smothering in Vaseline is you’ll get covered every time you open it, I’m assuming it’s the bolt that’s freezing, you could use wd40 or a silicone spray, or you could just run some source of heat over the bolt (not water), a lighter or cooker igniter or even a match, you don’t need to get it hot just enough to melt any ice...
The bolt is freezing, but also all the way down the gate opening, it doesn’t help that I drenched it in water, prior to that we have had a lot of rain.

Even my dustbin lid freezes and I can’t get that open.

Freezing weather here last night,all day today and again tonight.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 10:09 PM

So sorry. I can’t help you with suggestions on this one. I’ve never been exposed to snow and ice.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
So sorry. I can’t help you with suggestions on this one. I’ve never been exposed to snow and ice.

Oh Minx, you don't know what you're missing.....s'lovely stuff so is frost which makes some lovely flower patterns. You need to have a holiday somewhere where they have snow and get chucking some snow balls

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top