Join for free
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 02:52 PM

Apple iPad mini

The iOS on mine is 12.5.1
I want to setup dark mode as I have on my bigger screen model but from what I’m reading only iPad mini 5 will give me iOS 13 which will enable me to do this, or so I’m reading .
That means buying again .
Anyone here able to confirm what I’m saying before I part with money ?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 03:57 PM

Re: Apple iPad mini

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
The iOS on mine is 12.5.1
I want to setup dark mode as I have on my bigger screen model but from what I’m reading only iPad mini 5 will give me iOS 13 which will enable me to do this, or so I’m reading .
That means buying again .
Anyone here able to confirm what I’m saying before I part with money ?
Not using an iPad but instead Macs I am unfamiliar with what models the upgrades are available for. However, the link below seems to be one that shows which models can be upgraded. The OS 15 doesn't seem to be coming out until June or September 2021, worth having a read perhaps.

https://www.igeeksblog.com/ios-15-su...-release-date/

The other way would be to contact Apple with your query, they are so I am informed, very good at getting back to users. Have just searched for contact information and found this which may be of help:

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=psp&PRKEYS=PF22

After getting to the website as above key in 'iPad Upgrades' in the search box on there and you should get an option of leaving your phone number for them to call you back, sorry but no idea if this is UK or not but worth a try I guess.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 08:47 PM

Baz ,sorry I explained badly perhaps . I can’t get iOS13 and it’s features on the iPad mini I have (iOS 12 ) apple didn’t build it to take it so it means a newer iPad . But I don’t want to spend money if the feature I want isn’t going to be there . Just thought someone in here might already have the one I want and could confirm .
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2021, 12:15 PM

Baz, sorry I explained badly perhaps. I can’t get iOS13 and it’s features on the iPad mini I have (iOS 12) apple didn’t build it to take it so it means a newer iPad. But I don’t want to spend money if the feature I want isn’t going to be there. Just thought someone in here might already have the one I want and could confirm.
That's OK, no problem. I just don't know anything much about iPads so set about searching for an answer, I am like that!

Finding those websites I thought the answer might be there so gave the links. From what I can find the earlier iPad 5 ran OS12 but the earliest OS that gives the dark mode facility you want is OS13. If you are buying a new iPad mini 5 then that should running OS14 which I would have thought would have the dark mode facility.

These two links below show how to turn on that feature in both OS13 and OS14, this might be of some use to you in the future:

https://www.iphonehacks.com/2019/06/...whats-new.html

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-en...e-iphone-ipad/

I hadn't realised just how many different iPads there are so can now better appreciate the problem. Best of luck getting the confirmation you require.
Zuleika
North West UK

25-02-2021, 12:35 PM

Thankyou for the links Baz.
What you’ve found out is correct.
Chewing over the cost to replace this one running OS12 .If I trade it in with Apple ,£65 off a new mini5@£399 .
Baz46

25-02-2021, 11:45 PM

Thankyou for the links Baz.
What you’ve found out is correct.
Chewing over the cost to replace this one running OS12 .If I trade it in with Apple ,£65 off a new mini5@£399 .
No problem, I like finding out about things like that. It all comes down to money though, like everything else unfortunately. One consolation about getting a new iPad is that it should last you years as Apple continue upgrading for a long time before it's decided not to support a model. Apple devices also last a long time too, one Apple Mac that I had lasted me 12 years and that was used commercially when I worked for myself as a graphic designer. That Apple trade-in discount looks to be reasonable too. If it wasn't for that it might be worth trying John Lewis as they offer, or used to offer, an additional year of the genuine Apple guarantee, free of charge.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top