Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 11:12 PM

Tosh

Any help appreciated.

Whenever I click a new file to save it, it default saves to a folder named 'Tosh'. Obviously, this is something that was installed on the computer when I first bought it - it is, of course, a Toshiba.

I'd love to set the thing to save by default to my own named file location, but I have no idea how to do that.

After that, I can hopefully delete the 'Tosh' folder (in C/users/), although this includes such things as: app data, NTUSER.DAT, links, etc. and I'm not sure whether it would be safe to delete these.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 12:34 AM

Re: Tosh

In the “Save Documents” section, you'll see the “Default Local File Locations” option. Click the “Browse” button next to this box. You'll see a file browser window. Navigate to the location you would like to make as the default save location and then click the “OK” button in the bottom-right corner of the window.

On no account should you delete the ntuser.dat file. That's part of the registry.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 02:08 AM

Or you can click "save as" and select where up in the destination box. You're welcome.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 06:07 AM

I am presuming this is a Windows computer, it is surprising that you don't have the usual, and rather convenient library folders (usually Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music)

You can create your own but they are a good start and the advantage is that you can use the same structure on the next computer and use the environmental variable to transfer data (%userprofile%\Documents etc) to any computer.

"Tosh" sounds like the Userprofile created by someone when the computer was set up. Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music folders should be available there within that folder and it is merely a matter of telling the appropriate programs to use these folders (or new subfolders that you create) as a default.

Windows usually creates the user profile in a folder using the first five characters of your MS sign in but this is by no means compulsory.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 10:51 AM

Apart from your own saved files in 'Documents' in the Tosh directory there are other system files. All the ones in 'App Data' for instance. The computer and the Registry knows they are located there (under that name). If that name were to be changed, the system wouldn't know where to find those files. You'll notice that the option to rename that folder is missing, probably so it can't be renamed and upset the whole interlinked system.

As said though, files can be saved to any folder you want and just ignore the Tosh location.

If you really want to remove that name, there are ways but they might be thought too much trouble. Just do a search using the term 'change name of user folder windows 10' to find out more. I did and came up with these step by step suggested methods.

https://thegeekpage.com/rename-user-folder/

I'd probably do it by going into the User Account Settings and creating a new User or Admin account with the name I want. Transfer my saved files to it and then remove the Tosh account.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Any help appreciated.

Whenever I click a new file to save it, it default saves to a folder named 'Tosh'. Obviously, this is something that was installed on the computer when I first bought it - it is, of course, a Toshiba.

I'd love to set the thing to save by default to my own named file location, but I have no idea how to do that.

After that, I can hopefully delete the 'Tosh' folder (in C/users/), although this includes such things as: app data, NTUSER.DAT, links, etc. and I'm not sure whether it would be safe to delete these.
Don't delete it yet, JBR!

As has been suggested, it is, possibly, a user account which has been used to log in to Windows.

Many people use this to give their families, etc., their own W10 log in.

First, important check, I suggest is to try this once you're up and running.

1) Right click on the bottom left corner of your screen.- you should see "shutdown or sign out"

2) Left click to sign out.

3) Now, you're out of windows - click the screen and you should be offered the option, or options to log back in.

Is there an option called Tosh? (usually you will be looking at a blank screen with one, or more sign in options in the bottom left corner. The middle of the screen will be waiting for the pin, or password, to be used.

Are there other options (there could be several where guests have been allowed to have their own accounts)

4) If there is an option called "Tosh" there will also be folders, in File Manger, which lead to files being stored in Tosh.
If there are other logon names, there will be similar for them.(only accessible when that person logs on)

The name (e.g Tosh) can be changed in the Windows settings. Just log back in to go and change it.

Be careful about deleting as you may be deleting all that you have saved since you had the laptop.

Note:-

If you bought this laptop, with W10 already installed, it's possible that the dealer just makes a habit of using the "Tosh" for all the pcs he builds.

In that case, all you might need to do is to go into settings and change the name from Tosh to something you like better.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 12:06 PM

I bet Silicon Valley couldn't see the irony in a folder named "Tosh". My dictionary says: "slang chiefly Brit nonsense"
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I bet Silicon Valley couldn't see the irony in a folder named "Tosh". My dictionary says: "slang chiefly Brit nonsense"

I've seen a couple name CRAP!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
In the “Save Documents” section, you'll see the “Default Local File Locations” option. Click the “Browse” button next to this box. You'll see a file browser window. Navigate to the location you would like to make as the default save location and then click the “OK” button in the bottom-right corner of the window.

On no account should you delete the ntuser.dat file. That's part of the registry.
Thank you.
Actually, in Word the default file location is the one I usually use. It is just when I want to save something elsewhere, say from the internet, it defaults to Tosh.

Certainly, I shall not delete ntuser.dat
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-02-2021, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Or you can click "save as" and select where up in the destination box. You're welcome.
Thank you.
Yes, I do that when necessary, but was hoping to have my preferred file location to come up automatically.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top