Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 12:34 PM

Re: Tosh

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thank you.
Actually, in Word the default file location is the one I usually use. It is just when I want to save something elsewhere, say from the internet, it defaults to Tosh.

Certainly, I shall not delete ntuser.dat
You can't really delete anything in the Users and Tosh directories unless there is an alternative/duplicate account with everything set up in it the way you want it. Do you keep a safe backup of your files on USB sticks or removeable drive?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Apart from your own saved files in 'Documents' in the Tosh directory there are other system files. All the ones in 'App Data' for instance. The computer and the Registry knows they are located there (under that name). If that name were to be changed, the system wouldn't know where to find those files. You'll notice that the option to rename that folder is missing, probably so it can't be renamed and upset the whole interlinked system.

As said though, files can be saved to any folder you want and just ignore the Tosh location.

If you really want to remove that name, there are ways but they might be thought too much trouble. Just do a search using the term 'change name of user folder windows 10' to find out more. I did and came up with these step by step suggested methods.

https://thegeekpage.com/rename-user-folder/

I'd probably do it by going into the User Account Settings and creating a new User or Admin account with the name I want. Transfer my saved files to it and then remove the Tosh account.
I'd like to keep my user account which, incidentally, is set as 'administrator'.
All my saved files are already in my account, although there are a few saved under 'Tosh' which I think are duplicates (I'll check first).
However, 'Tosh' does not appear anywhere in User Accounts.

I'd like to delete 'Tosh' except for the fact that it includes ntuser.dat
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Don't delete it yet, JBR!

As has been suggested, it is, possibly, a user account which has been used to log in to Windows.

Many people use this to give their families, etc., their own W10 log in.

First, important check, I suggest is to try this once you're up and running.

1) Right click on the bottom left corner of your screen.- you should see "shutdown or sign out"

2) Left click to sign out.

3) Now, you're out of windows - click the screen and you should be offered the option, or options to log back in.

Is there an option called Tosh? (usually you will be looking at a blank screen with one, or more sign in options in the bottom left corner. The middle of the screen will be waiting for the pin, or password, to be used.

Are there other options (there could be several where guests have been allowed to have their own accounts)

4) If there is an option called "Tosh" there will also be folders, in File Manger, which lead to files being stored in Tosh.
If there are other logon names, there will be similar for them.(only accessible when that person logs on)

The name (e.g Tosh) can be changed in the Windows settings. Just log back in to go and change it.

Be careful about deleting as you may be deleting all that you have saved since you had the laptop.

Note:-

If you bought this laptop, with W10 already installed, it's possible that the dealer just makes a habit of using the "Tosh" for all the pcs he builds.

In that case, all you might need to do is to go into settings and change the name from Tosh to something you like better.
Thank you.
3) Log out - log in: no, there is no option to log in as 'Tosh', only my own account.
4) Yes there is a folder named 'Tosh' which contains files as I mentioned in my first post, and including a few documents and pictures which I may have inadvertently saved there in the past.
I could certainly change 'Tosh' to some other name, but would that prevent the default save location, whatever it is called, coming up?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-02-2021, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
You can't really delete anything in the Users and Tosh directories unless there is an alternative/duplicate account with everything set up in it the way you want it. Do you keep a safe backup of your files on USB sticks or removeable drive?
Yes, I have two external hard discs. However, if I cock things up on this computer I'd still have to find them and restore them. Could be quite a big job.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-02-2021, 01:41 PM

I have now done some deleting in 'Tosh'.

There are now only:
App Data - a long list of items under three sub headings
Dropbox - anything I have saved there
One Drive - anything I have saved there
NTUSER.DAT

I know not to delete ntuser.dat, but perhaps I can put it somewhere else and then delete 'Tosh'.

Similarly with Dropbox and One Drive, perhaps I can put them somewhere else.

App Data - I'm not sure what all of these things are, but I assume they are necessary to keep.

I'd be happy to leave all of this where it is, as long as access to them continue to work. I just want to forget about Tosh and don't want it to keep popping up!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top