Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 06:43 PM

Re: Did anyone see the meteor over the UK ?

Meteorites may be just north of Cheltenham

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56241511

Scientists think some meteor pieces will have survived the intense heat of atmospheric entry and hit the ground. A computer model that analysed the camera data suggests the probable site of impact is just north of Cheltenham.

"We can track the fireball really well, but the 'black magic' starts when it goes dark - when the light goes out and it still has another 10-20km to reach the ground," explained Dr Ashley King from the UK Fireball Alliance (UKFAll) and London's Natural History Museum (NHM). "Strong winds can blow the object off course of where you think it's going to land, and that's what we're working on now. But, yes, somewhere north of Cheltenham, out towards Stow-on-the-Wold," he told BBC News.

Any fragments that made it to the ground will be small, smaller than an orange, say, and are likely to be dark and shiny. Anyone who finds what they think might be a meteorite is asked to photograph it in situ, noting the GPS co-ordinates from a phone, if that's possible. The object should then be bagged without direct handling. And the absolute no-no: do not put a magnet near the object. This could destroy important information needed to study the rock.

"We've learned over the years that most meteorites carry a kind of intrinsic magnetic record within them from when they were in space," said Dr King. "We can actually study that and learn about where these things came from and how they formed. But if you put a magnet on the object, it's a little bit like wiping your credit card with a magnet. We lose all of that information."

Some of the trajectory work from the camera data has already suggested the object originated in the outer asteroid belt, which is between Mars and Jupiter.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Meteorites may be just north of Cheltenham

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56241511
Time for Sly old grey fox to bring out his metal detector for a test run
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Time for Sly old grey fox to bring out his metal detector for a test run
I was thinking the same thing Minx.....
Better get started, there's a lot of ground to cover..... "I may be gone quite some time".....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Better get started, there's a lot of ground to cover..... "I may be gone quite some time".....
Did you buy it from. Comet. Foxy...?

Sorry, I’ll get me coat...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Did you buy it from. Comet. Foxy...?

Sorry, I’ll get me coat...
Nice one Primus, your mastery of the written word is second to none...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 08:21 PM

I would have loved to have seen that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-03-2021, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would have loved to have seen that.
How about a Chinese Lantern Longdogs....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 02:37 PM

How about a Chinese Lantern Longdogs....
I have seen one of those, many years ago before we had really heard of them. I thought I was watching an alien Spaceship.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 09:04 PM

We'll keep the light on for you.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-03-2021, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
We'll keep the light on for you.
Thanks Right Now, but it's so cold here at the moment I think I'll wait for the weather to warm up a bit.....
Someone described the meteor as being about the size of a cricket ball, and that was before it burned up.... Needle in a haystack springs to mind....
Although, I was watching Aussie Gold Hunters on TV, and because the debris is magnetic one of the hunters found a piece of meteorite with his detector, and I was surprised to hear how valuable it was.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top