Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 11:03 AM

Pink Pampas grass

I though I would try to grow Pink Pampas Grass ( no funny quips please I have had enough of them from my friends not to mention Mr M )

So sent away for some seeds ( 100 )

They are minuscule !

Does anyone have any experience growing pampas grass ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 11:13 AM

Re: Pink Pampas grass

No, no experience of that one Muddy.
But in my garden mag recently it was saying Pampas grass is much in demand and if grown in front gardens, the heads are being nicked!

Apparently, apart from the old nonsense said about 'ladies of the night' growing these plants for free advertising of their wares, the grass stems are now considered quite valuable and I believe they were saying they were selling at about £25 per stem! So I dread to think what pink stems would sell for.

Just incase, I would grow it where it can't be seen from the road, just incase. I believe they can get to about 10ft high, so that's also worth bearing in mind where to eventually plant it.

This might be helpful, but it is an American site.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-p...eed-68740.html
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I though I would try to grow Pink Pampas Grass ( no funny quips please I have had enough of them from my friends not to mention Mr M )

So sent away for some seeds ( 100 )

They are minuscule !

Does anyone have any experience growing pampas grass ?
I have and it is like a weed - easy to grow, very hard to kill.

There was a massive clump of it in my garden when I bought this place, my old man was so impressed that when he went back to the UK he grew some himself and was very proud of it (kept sending me photos of it)

Unfortunately it was declared a noxious weed in NSW because it spread so easily, I dug it all out but it kept regrowing, in the end I poured petrol over it and set fire to it - that worked.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
No, no experience of that one Muddy.
But in my garden mag recently it was saying Pampas grass is much in demand and if grown in front gardens, the heads are being nicked!

Apparently, apart from the old nonsense said about 'ladies of the night' growing these plants for free advertising of their wares, the grass stems are now considered quite valuable and I believe they were saying they were selling at about £25 per stem! So I dread to think what pink stems would sell for.

Just incase, I would grow it where it can't be seen from the road, just incase. I believe they can get to about 10ft high, so that's also worth bearing in mind where to eventually plant it.

This might be helpful, but it is an American site.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-p...eed-68740.html
Thank you Mups
I have planted them not five seeds they are too tiny probably about thirty to a pot .Have done three pots so have put them under the radiator will let you know how they go on
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

01-03-2021, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have and it is like a weed - easy to grow, very hard to kill.

There was a massive clump of it in my garden when I bought this place, my old man was so impressed that when he went back to the UK he grew some himself and was very proud of it (kept sending me photos of it)

Unfortunately it was declared a noxious weed in NSW because it spread so easily, I dug it all out but it kept regrowing, in the end I poured petrol over it and set fire to it - that worked.

Thanks to our uncertain and frosty weather by the time this gets to be so invasive I shall probably be six foot under myself . Nevertheless I shall bear your warnings in mind
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 01:12 PM

I've never seen pink pampas grass Muddy so I looked it up.

It's beautiful so I hope you have luck with your seeds!

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

01-03-2021, 01:20 PM

It is lovely I will let you know how they get on
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 02:44 PM

Be very careful with pampas grass and be advise to keep it well away from your windows.

Apparently having it on display in your house has a hidden meaning

Think about a recent thread where keys in the fruit bowl were discussed .

Muddy I would stick to hydrangeas if you want large pink blooms, they are quite safe
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

01-03-2021, 02:46 PM

I intend to put it if it grows in the back garden so no one will see it
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Be very careful with pampas grass and be advise to keep it well away from your windows.

Apparently having it on display in your house has a hidden meaning

Think about a recent thread where keys in the fruit bowl were discussed .

Muddy I would stick to hydrangeas if you want large pink blooms, they are quite safe
Really Meg? 😮. We live and learn! 😄

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top