Join for free
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:55 AM

Anchovy Dust

This is one of the yummiest, umamiest all round delicious things I've ever made. It's dead easy to make and you can sprinkle it on a variety of dishes. It's great on salads, vegetables and fish dishes. You can use it along with some pepper to replace salt. Please yourself

Get some anchovies. Tinned ones are fine as long as they are good quality.

Drain the excess oil from them and press them into a strainer until most of the oil is gone.

Spread the anchovies around a pan over low heat for half to 3/4 hour and let them dry out.

When they are dry simply grind them to a powder with a mortar and pestle.

The powder will keep for a few days in the fridge ina sealed jar or bag.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:11 AM

Re: Anchovy Dust

Thanks for that, Keezoy - I just love anchovies!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:29 PM

I too adore anchovies, but as a dust? I am allergic to most dusts and therefore I would be extremely cautious about producing any possible allergens I could breathe in.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 02:51 PM

Keezoy thank you for that I am not a fan of Anchovies but they give an extra umami depth of flavour when a small amount is added to things.

I will try the dust. I bet it is a good substitute for whole Anchovies in Tapenade
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 02:57 PM

That’s sounds good !
Reminds me I haven’t had Gentleman’s Relish for years .
I always saved the pots .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That’s sounds good !
Reminds me I haven’t had Gentleman’s Relish for years .
I always saved the pots .
I'm saying nowt.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the fantastic idea! I’m definitely going to try this! I love anchovies!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 08:48 PM

... sounds interesting keezoy, a bit of hassle but, then again, so is anything to do with little tins of oily fish. What about keeping some of the oil and making a paste?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
... sounds interesting keezoy, a bit of hassle but, then again, so is anything to do with little tins of oily fish. What about keeping some of the oil and making a paste?
Of course you can do that. I have. You can buy it here already in a paste. The beauty of the dust is that it is neat and easy to use. You can use just a pinch to add a subtle tone to the flavour of the dish. Or you can sprinkle a generous amount over a salad etc. Only thing is that you can't keep it for long. 3-4 days in a sealed container in the fridge but not much more. Same time as you would keep anchovies I guess.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top