Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 04:53 PM

Re: Do You Shake The Nozzle After Filling Up With Fuel?

Yes i always shake mine to get the last few drips and drops out i learned at an early age to shake !
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I give it a gentle shake too to get the very last drop out of the pistol. I have paid for it after all.
Too bloody true - those last few drops could be instrumental in getting those extra miles to get to the next filling station.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 08:58 PM

Always make sure to shake it for the reasons already given. One thing that used to really wind me up, when I paid for petrol in cash, was I got quite good at squeezing out an exact amount - say £20. So I would hang the nozzle back and walk over to pay but by the time I got there another 1p would register. This would happen at many different locations. Anyway, I would get around this by filling up to £19.99p. Just imagine how much Joe public was being conned out of nationally. All those pennies add up.

So, one day I was at a Tesco filling station, miscalculated, and squeezed out £20 instead of £19.99p. Went to pay at the till and sure enough the amount had ticked over to £20.01p. So I said to the cashier "it was twenty quid when I hung up the nozzle so I'm not paying a penny more". He shook his head and took the money. Don't really care now as I pay by card but filling stations seem to have sorted that little con out.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Always make sure to shake it for the reasons already given. One thing that used to really wind me up, when I paid for petrol in cash, was I got quite good at squeezing out an exact amount - say £20. So I would hang the nozzle back and walk over to pay but by the time I got there another 1p would register. This would happen at many different locations. Anyway, I would get around this by filling up to £19.99p. Just imagine how much Joe public was being conned out of nationally. All those pennies add up.

So, one day I was at a Tesco filling station, miscalculated, and squeezed out £20 instead of £19.99p. Went to pay at the till and sure enough the amount had ticked over to £20.01p. So I said to the cashier "it was twenty quid when I hung up the nozzle so I'm not paying a penny more". He shook his head and took the money. Don't really care now as I pay by card but filling stations seem to have sorted that little con out.

Tesco have done that dozens of times to me, too.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 11:06 PM

Have you also noticed that when you squeeze the trigger on the nozzle, it starts counting though nothing seems to be going in for a second or so
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Have you also noticed that when you squeeze the trigger on the nozzle, it starts counting though nothing seems to be going in for a second or so

That is true, yes.
Maybe that is why they add the extra 1p on at the end.
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

05-03-2021, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That is true, yes.
Maybe that is why they add the extra 1p on at the end.
Exactly, and I only have a tenner in me pocket
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 12:22 AM

I remember some garages started leaving a container on the counter where you could leave your change, maybe one or two pence. The idea was that if someone went over the tenner or the twenty, they could take the extra out of the pot. Not seen that for a while though.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I usually give it a gentle shake, just to stop it dripping down the car or on my shoes!
If everyone does it, does it not become irrelevant except for the car going first?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I remember some garages started leaving a container on the counter where you could leave your change, maybe one or two pence. The idea was that if someone went over the tenner or the twenty, they could take the extra out of the pot. Not seen that for a while though.
Somebody probably stole it the way this country seems to be going!

The garage I regularly use had a pack of gloves by each pump when the coronavirus started, now though you have to ask if you require gloves as somebody stole those left by each pump!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top