Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:22 PM

Problems pairing phone with car

I was not sure whether to post this on here or in the car section, but here goes.

Marge has successfully paired her Samsung Galaxy S10 to our VW Golf 8 via Android Auto, with no problems at all.
Unfortunately, I have failed to do the same with my Galaxy S8, following exactly the same procedure she used.

Clearly, the problem lies with my phone, but I have no idea what else to do. I cannot see anything in my phone's settings which differ from those on Marge's.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can offer any suggestions.

I have made enquiries on the VW forum whose members have tried to be very helpful but I'm afraid nothing suggested has helped. I have also tried the Samsung forum and I'm afraid I haven't even had any replies!
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:45 PM

Re: Problems pairing phone with car

So when you connect the phone to the car what happens? Is this a new car?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I was not sure whether to post this on here or in the car section, but here goes.

Marge has successfully paired her Samsung Galaxy S10 to our VW Golf 8 via Android Auto, with no problems at all.
Unfortunately, I have failed to do the same with my Galaxy S8, following exactly the same procedure she used.

Clearly, the problem lies with my phone, but I have no idea what else to do. I cannot see anything in my phone's settings which differ from those on Marge's.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can offer any suggestions.

I have made enquiries on the VW forum whose members have tried to be very helpful but I'm afraid nothing suggested has helped. I have also tried the Samsung forum and I'm afraid I haven't even had any replies!
Step 1, JBR1

Tried closing out the pairing of Marge's phone and then seeing if your phone will pair with the car?

Some devices, I have found, are only willing to pair with one other device.

Additionally, you might try unpairing your mobile phone from any other device which it might have paired up with before.
(such that there are no conflicting devices in play)

Step 1.5, is "allow discovery" switched on, in your mobile?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 04:12 PM

I had originally had problems pairing mine to my new car, but then I tried switching on the car’s electrics, without starting the engine. It then worked. Before I had the engine running. Still finding out how things work on this car and I’ve had it a year now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
So when you connect the phone to the car what happens? Is this a new car?
Yes, a new VW Golf 8.

The phone appears on the infotainment screen. Next to it are icons for Mirror Link, Android Auto, phone and one other (not sure what it is), exactly like those for my wife's phone.
None are greyed out.

However, when I turn on Bluetooth and Android Auto on the phone then press the Android Auto button on the car's screen, after a short period the message "cannot connect" appears.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-03-2021, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Step 1, JBR1

Tried closing out the pairing of Marge's phone and then seeing if your phone will pair with the car?

Some devices, I have found, are only willing to pair with one other device.

Additionally, you might try unpairing your mobile phone from any other device which it might have paired up with before.
(such that there are no conflicting devices in play)

Step 1.5, is "allow discovery" switched on, in your mobile?
Thanks.

I don't want to unpair Marge's phone as I know for certain that it is possible to pair more than one phone to the car.

I have tried unpairing my phone by checking whether it is paired to anything, but there is nothing listed.

Yes, 'allow discovery' is switched on in the phone.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-03-2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I had originally had problems pairing mine to my new car, but then I tried switching on the car’s electrics, without starting the engine. It then worked. Before I had the engine running. Still finding out how things work on this car and I’ve had it a year now.
Yes, before today I have tried many times to pair the phone with the car without starting the engine. When I tried again today, we had the engine running as we were about to go out, but I'm afraid the result was the same: "can't connect".
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 05:02 PM

I am assuming you have Discover Navigation? I also have a Samsung phone paired with DN but I have only ever connected it using a cable so not sure about Bluetooth I'm afraid. From the manual "An active Android Auto device can also be connected simultaneously to the Infotainment System via bluetooth". If you have already connected another phone then I would assume the reason why you are having problems is more to do with the phone than anything else. Sorry, can't help further. If you cannot get it sorted I would recommend the T roc forums. They have some very knowledgeable people over there and are very helpful.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-03-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
I am assuming you have Discover Navigation? I also have a Samsung phone paired with DN but I have only ever connected it using a cable so not sure about Bluetooth I'm afraid. From the manual "An active Android Auto device can also be connected simultaneously to the Infotainment System via bluetooth". If you have already connected another phone then I would assume the reason why you are having problems is more to do with the phone than anything else. Sorry, can't help further. If you cannot get it sorted I would recommend the T roc forums. They have some very knowledgeable people over there and are very helpful.
Thank you.

Actually, I have always connected my phone to the car with the USB cable (the same one used by my wife), as well as Bluetooth, when attempting to pair them.
Perhaps I could try again without the Bluetooth connection.

I've just posted the question on the VW T Roc forum.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 09:48 PM

If it's a new car, why not swing by the dealership and tell 'em your problem. I'd think they'd be glad to make the connection and/or give you a head's up on how to do it.

Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top