Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 01:43 PM

Re: Jacket potatoes

Hi Mups I always eat the skin on baked potatoes and have a way of making it crisp, it is the best part and contains lots of goodness.

I often start the potato off with a few moments in the microwave pricking it first. Next I rub lightly with olive oil, just a touch. If you then put it on a baking dish in the oven the bottom can get overbrown so I put some large sea salt crystals on the dish and the potato on top. The crystals brush off easily once the potatoes cooked and can be used again.
Turn once during cooking.
The result is a lovely crisp skin, now cut open and add grated cheese and chopped chives or parsley.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 01:50 PM

Yes I eat the whole thing, it gets a good scrub under the tap before being cooked. I love a mix of tuna and corn in mine.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 01:59 PM

Best part of a spud, the skins. Also most of the vitamin C in a potato is just under the skin - peeling them usually means you lose all that goodness. Then again, that's probably all destroyed anyway be cooking them!

My favourite jacket spuds are ones cooked entirely in the oven (not 'started off' in the microwave), on a lowish heat for a loooooong time - minimum one and a half hours, but 2 hours is better. Then the skins are really thick and crispy and the inside soft and fluffy.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Properly cooked skins are the best part of a jacket potato .....
Deffo. I always eat the lot. Nothing tastes better than a good crisp tata skin.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 04:43 PM

Definitely with skins on and very crispy .... mmmm!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 04:52 PM

Crispy skin yes definitely, best part of the spud.. 👍
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Probably not that important in the grand scheme of things, but I had a nice jacket potato with beans and grated cheese on top last night, and I ate the lot, skin and all.

This made me wonder . . . are we supposed to eat the skins? Do you?

I eat the skins
Your meal looks great!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 06:51 PM

No skin. Yeuk.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 07:56 PM

... skin's the best bit.

I do the microwave-to-oven method.

preferring 2 or 3 smaller pots to 1 big one.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Mups I always eat the skin on baked potatoes and have a way of making it crisp, it is the best part and contains lots of goodness.

I often start the potato off with a few moments in the microwave pricking it first. Next I rub lightly with olive oil, just a touch. If you then put it on a baking dish in the oven the bottom can get overbrown so I put some large sea salt crystals on the dish and the potato on top. The crystals brush off easily once the potatoes cooked and can be used again.
Turn once during cooking.
The result is a lovely crisp skin, now cut open and add grated cheese and chopped chives or parsley.

Thanks very much for that Meg. I will have to get some salt crystals and try that.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top