Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:18 AM

Re: Humanoid robots

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
They are likely to be doing that too!
Doing what? Their own programming?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:39 AM

A long time ago, when I was working in IT, opinions were, quite often, put forward that human beings really are Robots, aka Computers.

I considered writing a book about it, around 1970.

A human has a brain (processor), memory (Ram or SSSD), Power sources (heart & Lungs), communication (voice & hearing) Vision, etcetera.

In the end, I moved away from a book because it seemed clear, to all, that Computers were constructed from Human Plans!

Humans have had all of that technology for a very long time.

With the addition of "Emotions" which, I think is the only major difference.

Interesting that you can get from being a speck of dust, out there in space, to being a hearing, feeling, loving human.

There is more to come....!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 03:11 PM

I find the idea of humanoids really fascinating, although I can foresee the problems it will cause in the future.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 04:22 PM

I truly hope these do not break Asimov's Laws of Robotics:

First Law: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Second Law: A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

Third Law: A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Zeroth Law: A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 04:28 PM

How 'bout a law that just says; "Humans will not produce robotic devices that look like humans"?

I admit robots have their place but I like the little skittery ones they have in Robot Wars....the ones you can step on if they get too uppity.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
A long time ago, when I was working in IT, opinions were, quite often, put forward that human beings really are Robots, aka Computers.

I considered writing a book about it, around 1970.

A human has a brain (processor), memory (Ram or SSSD), Power sources (heart & Lungs), communication (voice & hearing) Vision, etcetera.

In the end, I moved away from a book because it seemed clear, to all, that Computers were constructed from Human Plans!

Humans have had all of that technology for a very long time.

With the addition of "Emotions" which, I think is the only major difference.

Interesting that you can get from being a speck of dust, out there in space, to being a hearing, feeling, loving human.

There is more to come....!

Me and dad a conversation like this yesterday when I was telling him I feel like a controlled robot going into work every day. I often think how we are all so robotic day in day out. Dad said yes, you are , controlled by government made to work almost all our lives with not much time for fun. By the time we are able to retire many cant enjoybit because of age related illnesses etc.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Me and dad a conversation like this yesterday when I was telling him I feel like a controlled robot going into work every day. I often think how we are all so robotic day in day out. Dad said yes, you are , controlled by government made to work almost all our lives with not much time for fun. By the time we are able to retire many cant enjoybit because of age related illnesses etc.
Your Dad is wise LQ and spot on, most of us are controlled without realising it. Hence the census on Sunday.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
If you get chance, watch Fritz Lang's Metropolis (with English subtitles). It depicts humans as drones working in factories for the wealthy in a dystopian future.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Your Dad is wise LQ and spot on, most of us are controlled without realising it. Hence the census on Sunday.
More at risk from mobile phones and the internet tracking our every move 24/7 than a 10 yearly census.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 07:33 AM

Blimey its scary enough with Alexa...I have to take medication every night at 9pm so I asked her to remind me....she does but she won't shut up till I say thankyou then she tells me its her pleasure...well mannered and useful but a bit scary too

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top