Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:08 AM

French to Replace English with Latin as Europes Official Language

Met with scorn for now, the sentiment against English language is moving from the fringes to mainstream politics.

An anti-English movement is brewing in France. Clement Beaune, French Minister for European Affairs led a campaign for “European linguistic diversity” last month, where he emphasized the lack of need for English after Brexit.

https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/fr...language-44961
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:15 AM

Re: French to Replace English with Latin as Europes Official Language

Well that's good. The French pretend not to understand us anyway, no matter how loud we shout at them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:18 AM

Hi

We have left, no interest at all what they do.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:23 AM

It won't work...it will ostracise them even more. English is one of the most common language spoken worldwide.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
It won't work...it will ostracise them even more. English is one of the most common language spoken worldwide.
Spot on Pixie !

The G20 might be awkward
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Well that's good. The French pretend not to understand us anyway, no matter how loud we shout at them.
😃😃😃😃

Donkeyman!!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

English is an International language, the French cannot deny that.

Ineptias
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Not one of the most, THE most:

"English is the most widely spoken language worldwide, with 1.5 billion speakers. As we become increasingly connected, English has assumed a position of the dominant language of global communication, notably on the internet."
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Only a few days after the Referendum I met a Portuguese lady on holiday in Britain, and we got talking about it

I explained that I voted to Leave, but i had no argument with the Portuguese, nor the Poles, Dutch. Italians and so on
Rather it was the European Union that I didn't like

She said - Oh, that's alright. We will always need the British. When my father sells his wine to Sweden, guess what language they use?

And something I've only recently heard -
During WW2 when the Germans, Italians, Japanese, and other Axis forces wanted to discuss their progress they used English, being the only language they could all speak

And the exiled governments and forces of Norway, the Netherlands, Poland and other occupied countries were happy enough to use English, the French insisted on using French
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 01:20 PM

Latin is a dead language.

I guess that's why the French recommend it?

Still, we'd have to give it some thought if, for example, all of the USA switched to Latin!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top