Join for free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 07:46 PM

What Should I Look For When Selecting A Garlic Bulb?

I admit when l buy a garlic bulb, l fuss and dither!
I know... pathetic!

Should l go for one with purple cloves or white cloves? Should the outer skin of the bulb be white or creamy coloured?
Which are the freshest?
What a dilemma for something around 35p!

One thing is for certain, l will not purchase garlic grown in China, it doesn’t seem right.

I have tried growing my own but they are not great and they’re quite small.

Any advice please? ... and l don’t mean wattage!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 07:58 PM

Re: What Should I Look For When Selecting A Garlic Bulb?

I was going to ask "What age" were the garlic bulbs, Art
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 07:59 PM

Hi Art the colour of the bulb varies according to the variety,
I grow 'purple' and 'white' it shouldn't make a lot of difference to your choice .

When choosing a garlic bulb for culinary use it should be firm and not soft with no green bits.

Also to be considered, garlic is seasonal and not at its best at this time of year.
I finished all my supply from the garden some time ago and am now using frozen chopped garlic from Waitrose and hope to start using my own soon , I have 40 bulbs planted this year twice as many as usual , long story....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I was going to ask "What age" were the garlic bulbs, Art
Mags, After buying them, sometimes l find they have brown bits on the clove but you only see this after peeling them.
They are LED bulbs and not very old!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mags, After buying them, sometimes l find they have brown bits on the clove but you only see this after peeling them.
They are LED bulbs and not very old!
Little English Darlings
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 10:18 PM

One of the silliest questions I have been asked is how many cloves are there on a garlic bulb. I said I didn't know and suggested they bought two of them.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

17-03-2021, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Art the colour of the bulb varies according to the variety,
I grow 'purple' and 'white' it shouldn't make a lot of difference to your choice .

When choosing a garlic bulb for culinary use it should be firm and not soft with no green bits.

Also to be considered, garlic is seasonal and not at its best at this time of year.
I finished all my supply from the garden some time ago and am now using frozen chopped garlic from Waitrose and hope to start using my own soon , I have 40 bulbs planted this year twice as many as usual , long story....
Yes Meg, They usually are firm but l don’t always think the ones in supermarkets are particularly fresh. To me they should have a stronger smell and not have bits of brown in them.
I bought a three pack of garlic in Waitrose last week and l wouldn’t say they are any better or fresher than a lesser supermarket. As l mentioned in my post to Mags, they have brown bits on the peeled clove.

40 bulbs? At least they will keep you healthy and you won’t run out!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

17-03-2021, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
One of the silliest questions I have been asked is how many cloves are there on a garlic bulb. I said I didn't know and suggested they bought two of them.
You should have said, ‘How long is a piece of string’!!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 06:43 AM

When selecting garlic bulbs, I go for the ones that have a bit of weight to them. If too light in weight, I assume they are older and dried out. I also avoid soft bulbs.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-03-2021, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
When selecting garlic bulbs, I go for the ones that have a bit of weight to them. If too light in weight, I assume they are older and dried out. I also avoid soft bulbs.
Bakerman, Apologies for not acknowledging your post earlier but l have only just seen it now.

That sounds a good tip about going for ones with a bit of weight. I will remember that the next time, l purchase some.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top