Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 04:25 AM

Suddenly retired and together with your spouse 24/7?

For 32 years of our relationship, my spouse has worked. Now he is retired so will be home ALL the time.

He has a 24 x 24 garage/ workshop which will have a wood stove and be fully insulated along with plenty of brand new woodworking tools which I know will keep him plenty happy.
He is an amazing woodworking and carves gorgeous songbirds.

Plus he will be fishing in brackish lakes as well as the ocean plus picking oysters, clams , lobsters and other shellfishy stuff. This is stuff he really enjoys also.

He enjoys reading and watching a bit of television.

We enjoy walking the dogs together, as well as gardening and cooking together. We also enjoy going for drives to new places to meet new people and explore new areas. We both enjoy kayaking, canoeing, skating and biking together. We even have trailers for our dogs.

Is it difficult retiring suddenly together? What was it like for you? Do you have any helpful tips you could share?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 04:28 AM

Re: Suddenly retired and together with your spouse 24/7?

Never happened, thank you baby Jesus. My second wife was gone by the time I retired. Cost me a house but oh so worth it!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Never happened, thank you baby Jesus. My second wife was gone by the time I retired. Cost me a house but oh so worth it!
Ok ‘that’ I wasn’t expecting but pretty funny all the same
Aren’t you ever lonely?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 08:19 AM

If Humans are to believe in evolution, they should work till they drop.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 08:21 AM

Once we domesticate animals, they Retire.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 09:18 AM

By the time we'd retired we'd been working together for over 40 years.

My problem was when Tony first became self employed and we found ourselves together 24/7 running our shop. I had done it on my own previously.

I hated the way I couldn't make a move - nip out anywhere or have a phone conversation without him listening & questioning.

In the end I went & got an outside job of my own & left him to it.

I had to return eventually of course. It took a while to get used to it but we got into a routine and it turned out ok.

Now we live happily together in retirement. I have my own interests & often go out with friends for the day or to a keep fit class or swimming or a hike in the countryside.

Tony doesn't get about so much now he had Alzheimers but he doesn't mind me leaving him for a short time so long as one of the kids come to chat to him & keep him company or take him a short walk.

Wherever I go I try to be back by early afternoon so I can do something with him - shopping or a walk round the park. I would never leave him on his own..

I do think it's important in retirement to have ones own interests & activities.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 09:27 AM

Mr P won't retire, but this past year of him working from home has given me a taste of what it might be like. I don't think it would be too bad, but I agree with Carol in that it is so important to have separate interests.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 09:36 AM

There are so many plusses, and quite a lot of minusses, when the time comes to retire.

The plusses include being together, with your family & friends, and seeing them all the time.

The minusses include being together, with your family & friends, and seeing them all the time.

There should be a training course.

Subjects to be learned:-

1) How to fill someone else's space without killing off their existing enjoyable pastimes.

2) How to fill your time.

3) How to have real conversations.

4) How to share the housework.

5) How to manage your spending?

I'm coming up to 30 years of retirement and still miss the work environment.

I wouldn't go back though!

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 09:46 AM

We have separate interests but meet for lunch dinner and bedtimes. Also if either of us needs something or other.

We spend hours living at opposite ends of the house, or at least out of each others company. A comfortable co-existence.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 10:09 AM

I have’nt murdered Mr M ........yet !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top