Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 01:46 PM

When is a Mobile Phone not a Mobile?

This is not a technical question, IMO, but more a thought, or three, about how we adapt to new stuff, as we get older!

My mobile is in my pocket, whenever I'm going out, but I expect to use it for outgoing calls only.
Why?

Because, if it rings (or should I say, warbles) it can take me quite a while to get it out and see what's what.

If I want to make a call, I can get it out of the pocket, move into an area where it's light enough, put my specs on, and start using.

If I'm receiving a call, the caller has probably moved on to three more ready listeners , by the time I'm ready.

I must be the only "anti mobile" on the forum!

I use them under protest!

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Re: When is a Mobile Phone not a Mobile?

Oh, Mr P leaves his in the house and only takes it when I nag him. Even then, its always on silent, so I leave endless voice messages (which he doesn't listen to) lots of texts, and usually replies with a "hello"
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh, Mr P leaves his in the house and only takes it when I nag him. Even then, its always on silent, so I leave endless voice messages (which he doesn't listen to) lots of texts, and usually replies with a "hello"
Same situation with my old mum. She never takes hers out with her despite my complaints about it and my constant repeating of what's the point of having one if you don't use it? I'm concerned that she might have an accident while out and about and not being able to contact anyone.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Sounds like sense, to me!

How many family moments, meetings, etc., are wrecked by someone getting a mobile call right in the middle?

Tedc
Berkshire, UK

20-03-2021, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Same situation with my old mum. She never takes hers out with her despite my complaints about it and my constant repeating of what's the point of having one if you don't use it? I'm concerned that she might have an accident while out and about and not being able to contact anyone.

Maybe keeping it on silent fixes that?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 02:12 PM

Mine lives in my handbag. It is not switched on - it is there only for use in an emergency and, so far, I have not had one!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 02:20 PM

A word to the wise for those of you who carry your phones but never use them. I learned the hard way that unused phone numbers are re-claimed by the Network and are given to another sim. You need to send a text or make a call every other month or you may find your phone won't work for you just when something happens and you need it. Six months of non use and it's usually gone........So check your phones, not only did I lose my number I lost the £30 credit I had on the phone.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Maybe keeping it on silent fixes that?
I doubt it, she wouldn't be able to feel it vibrate at the bottom of her cavernous handbag.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 03:00 PM

Whoa ho, I hear about my mom's phone constantly because of her frustrations with it. These things really aren't tested by older folks during the design phase, or so it seems. She is ever accidentally pressing the volume off or struggles to answer before the thing goes to message. Updates are a nightmare as "improvements" are a source of frustration and confusion.

She jokes that she would prefer to have an old dial phone strapped around her neck with an extremely long cored and be done with the cell.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Mine lives in my handbag. It is not switched on - it is there only for use in an emergency and, so far, I have not had one!
Ditto but we did have one emergency when our old Qashqai threw a wobbler and the engine stopped dead on the Wolverhampton ring road. We had to call the breakdown service who didn't fix it but towed us to the nearest Nissan dealership. They couldn't fix it either but, when I returned to pick up the car, it started 1st time and got us home. When I filled up on the way, there was one hell of a vacuum in the petrol tank caused by fastening the cap on too tightly (but fully in accordance with the manual). Since then I haven't even tightened the cap as far as the first "click" even on our new Qashqai.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top