Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 08:19 PM

Re: When is a Mobile Phone not a Mobile?

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
A word to the wise for those of you who carry your phones but never use them. I learned the hard way that unused phone numbers are re-claimed by the Network and are given to another sim. You need to send a text or make a call every other month or you may find your phone won't work for you just when something happens and you need it. Six months of non use and it's usually gone........So check your phones, not only did I lose my number I lost the £30 credit I had on the phone.
This happened to us in Portugal, we had a burner with a PT sim for holidays ... and they robbed us!

I doesn't seem to happen here ... UK EE sim. I didn't use my payg for 12 months, fired her up, texted balance and found I had more than expected.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 08:24 PM

When is a Mobile Phone not a Phone?

When you'd rather play minesweeper, battleships, and use the camera.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
When is a Mobile Phone not a Mobile?
When, like today my landline rang and usually that's a scam call as the landline is only there for the broadband, all calls go to answer machine. Everybody who knows me uses my mobile number. I did attempt to get to my study / office at the back of the house before the answer machine came on but too late, that cannot be interrupted once the recorded message starts. No message was left anyway.

Within seconds my mobile, left in the lounge at the front of the house, was ringing. I reached it just in time to try and answer, then the caller, from the same number as on the landline, ended that call. I recognised the number from somewhere but no recollection of any name.

Whatever happened to the days of just having one telephone and it was for calls only? Sometimes this technology is a real pain. What with that, the scammers and odd problems with the broadband I often wish we could return to more 'peaceful' days of yesteryear when it comes to communications.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
When is a Mobile Phone not a Phone?

When you'd rather play minesweeper, battleships, and use the camera.
Minesweeper! Heavens I'd forgotten all about that game! Never played it on a phone, but used to regularly play it on my old Windows PC, many years ago. Wonder if it's still available? (scuttles off to fire up the laptop...)
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 11:26 PM

I use mine all the time for calls as well as data.

Wouldn't be without it, far cheaper than a home phone and portable, what's not to like?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
I use mine all the time for calls as well as data.

Wouldn't be without it, far cheaper than a home phone and portable, what's not to like?
The miniature screens for a start, followed very rapidly by the qwerty keyboards
that are made for midgets! Other than those criticisms they are OK for calls!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 12:03 AM

My mobile phone is a flip top cast off from my Daughter, she is now on her 5 i phone I think, nothing wrong with the one she gave me, I have it on PAYT. It makes calls & receives them & sends & receives texts, that is all I need it for. I have not wanted any of her other all singing all dancing phones, I have no wish to spend hours on the net, when out & about, I have my home PC for that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 05:11 AM

My mobile is my only effective phone and I go nowhere without it. However I can't always hear it when it is in my pocket (my deafness not the phone's fault) but that is no worry because it records who called so I can call them back.

It has so many other uses phone calls are only a minor consideration.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

21-03-2021, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Minesweeper! Heavens I'd forgotten all about that game! Never played it on a phone, but used to regularly play it on my old Windows PC, many years ago. Wonder if it's still available? (scuttles off to fire up the laptop...)

Yeah I played it for hours on end on my first lappy: windows 98. I play it now on my iPad.

https://www.gamesforthebrain.com/ ... they call it MineHunter (stretch to fill the screen).

And ShipFind (aka BattleShips) is very addictive.
KP53
New Member!
Wiltshire
KP53 is female 

21-03-2021, 03:31 PM

I dont use a phone on my landline its just for the internet, I wouldn't go anywhere without my mobile phone, partly because of my illness if I were to collapse it has all my health information for medical professionals on there, and mainly if the kids or my mum needs me. I tend to use my laptop for things like this/internet shopping/facebook etc as the screen is a little too small for reading etc. I use it for calls/texts/whatsapp with family groups mostly.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top