Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Re: Google has added a QR code generation feature to Chrome

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Your suspicion is correct .....
Thanks for the confirmation Omah. There are so many abbreviations used nowadays that it's often not easy to work out what they represent, especially I guess for anyone new to the internet and particularly to forums (should that be 'fora'?) and social networking.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Thanks for the confirmation Omah. There are so many abbreviations used nowadays that it's often not easy to work out what they represent, especially I guess for anyone new to the internet and particularly to forums (should that be 'fora'?) and social networking.
Exactly ….

Although I have come across QR codes and know that they are matrix barcodes invented 1994 for the Japanese car industry they were having no impact on my life until recently so I thought I'd ask what uses they might have on a personal level.

In my case, I encounter one when I connect to Messages for Web:

https://messages.google.com/web/authentication

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 03:49 PM

Possibly they are good if you have a website and wish others to be directed to that. Others use a QR code to direct people to their personal Blogs. Lots of uses in various ways with the modern technology but I've never really had any dealings with them personally.

It's something like when barcodes first arrived. They were not in general use at first and there were computer progams to generate them. Look at them now though, almost no product is without one!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2021, 10:58 PM

QR codes are the main stay of our covid track and trace system, you scan the code on entry to a venue/shop/restaurant with the Service NSW app.

All establishments must have one.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/covi...eping/qr-codes

Part of the reason we have zero covid cases in the community

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
QR codes are the main stay of our covid track and trace system, you scan the code on entry to a venue/shop/restaurant with the Service NSW app.
A similar system was introduced in England and Wales on September 24th last year, two days after Boris Johnson introduced a 10pm curfew on pubs, bars and restaurants. That was followed by a series of lockdowns up to the present date so that the QR system, almost immediately, became surplus to requirements.

However, shops, hairdressers, gyms and outdoor hospitality are due to reopen on 12 April in England, so the QR code system may well be restarted.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top