Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 11:30 AM

Re: Rice cooker surprise.

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Jeeeeez!...I created a monster. Pleeeease!..I just want to ask whether anybody uses a rice cooker for things other than rice. If so what do they do. Like tonight I cooked a nice rich beef and wine filling for some Provincial French style pies. What should we call it?..Discussion?..chat?...Cabinet meeting?!..For god's sake why don't we call it Nigel. Let's have a nice cosy Nigel about rice cookers!..Chairperson?...THat could be me. I'm your huckelberry.. And agenda?....Well that would be rice cookers innit?...I'm sorry I asked...
wow that sounds lovely.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Okay, keezoy; here's a second piece of advice: Never invite me to give you any advice.

Alrighty then. Duly noted.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 12:24 PM

I am a big fan of the rice cooker I have several and always keep one in my camper.

Apart from rice you can use them for steaming, make soup (I don't), cook potatoes, eggs, veggies, spagetti etc. Well anything that requires boiling can be done in a rice cooker. I am not big on boiled meat but you can cook chicken pieces, bacon or fish with the rice or vegetables

When I am camping I might fry some pork in a gas stove then add that to something in the rice cooker. Sort of this on a much smaller scale:

I wouldn't be without a rice cooker. I even have a tiny one.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 12:27 PM

Great thanks Bruce. I can't wait to get back into the kitchen tomorrow night. This Nigel is getting better by the minute!..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 12:31 PM

BTW I used to cook rice in a saucepan many, many years ago using the absorption method but you have to watch it all the time. A rice cooker does it so much better and doesn't need watching.

The one thing that still amazes me is the number of people that don't rinse their rice before cooking it.
keezoy
Australia

23-03-2021, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
BTW I used to cook rice in a saucepan many, many years ago using the absorption method but you have to watch it all the time. A rice cooker does it so much better and doesn't need watching.

The one thing that still amazes me is the number of people that don't rinse their rice before cooking it.

Hmm?..Ok..I don't. I was told not to rinse it. You'll always find differing opinions. The one thing I have never been able to stomach is brown rice. Never liked it. I was given my first rice cooker by a Chinese housemate when I was at Uni. That was over 40 years ago. I can't remember the last time I used anything else to cook rice. THat's why I actually took the time to post this thread. All this time and I never thought of using it for anything else. IT's like a Eureka moment. Kind of like the missing link between a stove top pot,,(messy)..a pressure cooker..(Too fast)...a slow cooker...(Too..you got it..slow!)
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 12:47 PM

Just to add my pennyworth......

Keezoy has posted in the correct section, Food and Drink.

Recipes are discussed, utensils are discussed and there are people who learn different ideas and recipes from different countries.

End of pennyworth!
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Just to add my pennyworth......

Recipes are discussed, utensils are discussed
Or chatted about.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2021, 12:54 PM

Or chatted about.
Discuss = Talk about

..... and stay on topic
keezoy
Australia

23-03-2021, 01:04 PM

Or chatted about.

No. Chatting is too insipid a term for my thread. Chatting reminds me of the "chattering" classes. Nob heads who blather on about things that they think are important but aren't. I liked Nigel but now I think I prefer discourse. If it takes off it could become "The Rice Cooker Discourses"...Who knows where it could end up. Eat your heart out Jamie. .. NOw it is 11 pm here. I'm off to bed to dream about further adventures with the "Rice Express"

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top