Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 12:53 AM

Re: Oooops! Suez Blocked

It'll take some time if they have to offload some of the 20,000 containers stashed aboard.

One thing ... I was surprised to learn that the Suez canal is only 24 metres deep.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I did wonder why they didn't do a controlled explosion of the shoreline to loosen the bits under and around the tanker. It must be pretty deep water there to take such big vessels.

Is there any reason they have never widened it? I mean you'd think they would not allow ships that are longer than it's wide.
I could be wrong but I don't think there's been much improvement done or funds spent on the canal ... unlike Panama canal which has undergone major expansion over the last few years to accommodate the Goliath sized container ships used nowadays.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 01:25 AM

Well I guess the funding thing might change after this crisis. Loo rolls and ikea goods are stuck in the queue. You'd think that with 10% of world trade reliant on this route the rest of the world would have made more effort to improve it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 01:27 AM

I did wonder why they didn't do a controlled explosion of the shoreline to loosen the bits under and around the tanker. It must be pretty deep water there to take such big vessels.

Is there any reason they have never widened it? I mean you'd think they would not allow ships that are longer than it's wide.
I don't know much about the Suez other than is on the news at the moment but the UK canals are only about 4ft deep and much narrower than the length of boats that use them (57ft on average). I only know this because I follow a couple of people on YouTube who live on narrow boats in the UK.

If it ain't broke why fix it? How often does this happen?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 01:55 AM

If it was caused by the weather then it might happen again in the near future. they could set up protection for vehicles against windstorms at least. It's a major trade route. 9.6 billion of goods a day
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 03:28 AM

This is a very rare occurrence, so not really necessary. After all, even UK canals aren't wider than a typical canal boat's length.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-03-2021, 03:31 AM

Yes but UK canals aren't used to host 220 tonne tankers & 10% of world trade. You'd think such a crucial trade route would have a bit of global love put into it so as to safeguard supplies. This is going to lead to price hikes all over.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 04:30 AM

All you ever needed to know about it and more...

Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 12:30 PM

Captain will come in for a bit of criticism.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210326-WA0001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	15170  
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 12:37 PM

Yes but UK canals aren't used to host 220 tonne tankers & 10% of world trade. You'd think such a crucial trade route would have a bit of global love put into it so as to safeguard supplies. This is going to lead to price hikes all over.
I don't think it's actually crucial they use the canal Annie!
just slightly quicker and a bit cheaper ??
If you divide the quantities carried by the time saved and money
saved it would be very little?
It's all down to the usual thing!!

Donkeyman! 👎👎

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top