Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 05:57 PM

Watering patio roses..

I've got some bare root roses I planted in pots 2 months ago. They're just starting to show life.

Now I'm in a tizz wondering how much to water them!!
I always wondered if watering from the top gets as far as the roots!!

I thought of standing them in a tray of water & letting the roots suck up as much as it wants & remove the tray a day later if there's any water left.

Does it seem like a stupid idea?

How do you water your patio roses?
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 06:02 PM

Re: Watering patio roses..

From the top with my roses not over the top...once a week for me at the mo, but will increase as the growth thickens
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 06:51 PM

Forgive a silly question, but what does "bare root" mean? I have no outdoor plants, so I don't know this kind of thing
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 07:16 PM

Bare root plants are those sold without soil around the roots like a plant in a pot.
Normally posted in a cardboard box with the roots wrapped in a damp material, they advise placing them in a bucket of water for a day or two prior to planting
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 07:38 PM

Yes exactly as Vlad said.

They looked so dead when I bought them. It's wonderful to see them coming alive.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 07:46 PM

Oh thank you Vlad and Carol! That's useful to know for any future gardening endeavours
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
From the top with my roses not over the top...once a week for me at the mo, but will increase as the growth thickens
I have one small rose bush in a window box, it seeded itself, but for 4 years it's grown & bloomed. I am watering it once a week too, I pruned it in the Winter when the last of the flowers died. I have no idea if I am doing it right as it's the only one I've had, but so far it's been fine, got to be a tough plant.
It has no thorns & I have no idea what specie it is either. Maybe someone on here knows?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060781.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	15158  
Vlad
West Midlands UK

27-03-2021, 02:12 PM

Wow! That is nice, whatever you are doing it seems to be thriving from it
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Wow! That is nice, whatever you are doing it seems to be thriving from it
Thanks, Vlad.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 04:57 PM

Tiffany that is one beautiful rose. I wish something that lovely would seed itself in our garden!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top