Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 08:51 PM

I Have Only Just Discovered Boz Scaggs...

Recently, l heard a song on the radio called ‘What Can I Say’.
It was really good and my type of music!!
I read that he was around in the 1970’s, so l can’t understand why l’ve never been aware of him before.
Have you heard of him?

If someone could post some of his music on here that would be really good. I can’t put proper music clips on with my iPad.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 09:00 PM

Re: I Have Only Just Discovered Boz Scaggs...

'Lido Shuffle' was one of the best songs of the 70's Art and on the flip side was a great version of 'we're all alone'

You might have to click on watch on youtube

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 09:02 PM

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Recently, l heard a song on the radio called ‘What Can I Say’.
It was really good and my type of music!!
I read that he was around in the 1970’s, so l can’t understand why l’ve never been aware of him before.
Have you heard of him?
Yes, through his membership of the Steve Miller Band:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boz_Scaggs

Scaggs was born in Canton, Ohio. He attended a Dallas private school, St. Mark's School of Texas, where schoolmate Mal Buckner gave him the nickname "Bosley", later shortened to "Boz".

After learning guitar at the age of 12, Scaggs met Steve Miller. In 1959, he became the vocalist for Miller's band, the Marksmen. The pair later attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison together, playing in blues bands.

Leaving school, Scaggs briefly joined the burgeoning R&B scene in London, then traveled on to Sweden as a solo performer, and in 1965 recorded his solo debut album, Boz, which failed commercially.

Returning to the U.S., Scaggs promptly headed for the booming psychedelic music center of San Francisco in 1967. Linking up with Steve Miller again, he appeared on the Steve Miller Band's first two albums, Children of the Future and Sailor in 1968. Scaggs secured a solo contract with Atlantic Records in 1968, releasing his second album, Boz Scaggs, featuring the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section and session guitarist Duane Allman (also of the Steve Miller Band), in 1969. Despite good reviews, this release achieved only moderate sales. He then briefly hooked up with Bay Area band Mother Earth in a supporting role on their second album Make a Joyful Noise on guitar and backup vocals.

Scaggs next signed with Columbia Records releasing the albums Moments in 1971 and My Time in 1972. His first two Columbia albums were modest sellers and seeking a new more soulful direction his record company brought in former Motown producer Johnny Bristol for 1974's Slow Dancer album. Although the album only made # 81 on the US Billboard Album Chart, it subsequently attained gold status no doubt getting a boost from the huge success of Scaggs's next album Silk Degrees.

In 1976, using session musicians who later formed Toto, Scaggs recorded Silk Degrees, with Joe Wissert on producing duties.

The album, which received a Grammy nomination for album of the year and a further nomination for Wissert as Producer of The Year, reached #2 on the US Billboard 200, and #1 in a number of other countries, spawning
four hit singles: "It's Over", "Lowdown", "What Can I Say", and "Lido Shuffle",
as well as the poignant ballad "We're All Alone", later recorded by Rita Coolidge and Frankie Valli. "Lowdown" sold over one million copies in the US and won the Grammy Award for Best R&B Song, which was shared by Scaggs and David Paich.
A sellout world tour followed, but his follow-up album in 1977 Down Two Then Left did not sell as well as Silk Degrees and neither of its singles reached the Top 40. The 1980 album Middle Man spawned two top 20 hits, "Breakdown Dead Ahead" (No. 15, Hot 100) and "Jojo" (No. 17, Hot 100); and Scaggs also enjoyed two more top 20 hits in 1980–81, "Look What You've Done to Me", from the Urban Cowboy soundtrack, and "Miss Sun", from a greatest hits set, both reaching No. 14 on the Hot 100.

Scaggs took a long break from recording and his next album, Other Roads, did not appear until 1988.
Scaggs had a distinguished career but never achieved the longevity and heights of some of his contemporaries.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-03-2021, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Yes, through his membership of the Steve Miller Band:

Another superb band.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-03-2021, 09:10 PM

The recorded version of 'Lido Shuffle'

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Another superb band.
Indeed .....
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 10:18 PM

THis is my very favourite Boz SCaggs number. It is very early and rare and not on any record as far as I know. I saw it first at the movies. The sound quality is not great but still, it moves me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2u-...nnel=outlander
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 10:48 PM

Longy, Omah and Keezoy... Thank You so much, l am thrilled that you’ve been able to post these songs for me.

Edited to say, l have just blasted them out of my speaker! It was wonderful.
All of them were great! Thank You.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 11:06 PM

I know Boz and his wife, Dominique via her publishing work and their micro winery.

My favorite:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top