Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 11:49 AM

Re: Remember AIDS ???

AIDs is not a disease but the symptoms. HIV is no longer a death sentence and its effect can be reduced dramatically with anti viral drugs so why would you hear about it any more than other diseases such as Breast or Prostate cancer?

Covid will go the way of the Spanish or Asian flu it will become more infectious but less deadly and our bodies will learn to cope with it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
So why are we panicking about a bit of flu that only kills old people?
Aids was/is killing the young ones ??
Seems like over reaction to me ???

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Because it's not flu and it's extremely contagious. Deaths aside, it leaves people with serious health conditions of internal organs that they never had before. Diabetes, heart disease cognitive impairment among others. It changes the structure of cells of internal organs causing permanent damage.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Because it's not flu and it's extremely contagious. Deaths aside, it leaves people with serious health conditions of internal organs that they never had before. Diabetes, heart disease cognitive impairment among others. It changes the structure of cells of internal organs causing permanent damage.
I would argue that it's no more contagious than flu Annie, you breathe in infected particles from another person and there you go....it just seems like it's more contagious due the extensive media coverage.
People already had diabetes and heart disease, sometimes not apparent until they caught the virus. The figures have been vastly overrated for long covid, but after magnification by the media it would seem that most people end up with long covid.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
AIDS/HIV is still there but thankfully controlled by medication.

I listened to a programme by Dr Van Tulleken on the radio the other day about the origins of HIV , it is though to have emerged in 1916 with soldiers in Cameroon shooting Chimpanzees for meat. Patient zero became contaminated by the blood of the animals and passed the virus on via the brothels . The virus progressed only slowly but as the world opened up with travel and air flights it progressed rapidly.

The corona virus is very different and I believe although we will contain each strain in time. the disease will always be with us and cause some deaths worldwide each year.
I think Dr Van Tulleken is brilliant Meg, he and his twin brother have done many experiments concerning exercise and diet.

It always comes back to air passengers.....I also think it progressed more rapidly as homosexuallity became more accepted and widespread. Although being transferred by contamination of the blood, it's not unique to sexual activity. But mainly it is, which gives it the name of 'The Gay Disease'...
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 12:23 PM

Oooer! Can you give the numbers involved Annie??
You gave comprehensive figures for Aids ! Then we can compare
the two ?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I would argue that it's no more contagious than flu Annie, you breathe in infected particles from another person and there you go....it just seems like it's more contagious due the extensive media coverage.
People already had diabetes and heart disease, sometimes not apparent until they caught the virus. The figures have been vastly overrated for long covid, but after magnification by the media it would seem that most people end up with long covid.
The difference is that we all have some immunity to flu but covid is new and until it spreads through the population or we protect ourselves with vaccination then it's extremely dangerous.

It's younger people who have never had heart disease, diabetes and other problems that have been affected OGF. Those who already had those problems got very sick & quite often were hospitalised with great resources devoted to keeping them alive.

It's no point debating this with you because you don't believe in covid. The fact that people who were previously running marathons etc still can't walk up the stairs without a lie down is of no consequence to those whose lives aren't affected and they don't experience it personally so they don't believe.

The disease can attack healthy organ tissue and change the cells so that they are damaged beyond repair. It has damaged muscles, ligaments too as well as lungs. Also attacks the brain. It's a very nasty disease and people still think it's flu....hey ho
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-03-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Oooer! Can you give the numbers involved Annie??
You gave comprehensive figures for Aids ! Then we can compare
the two ?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
No I can't give numbers. I'm sure they didn't have great numbers for AIDs back in the 80s. They will for sure be analysing and re-analysing the effects of covid for decades then there will be numbers galore.

You can't compare AIDs and covid. It's HIV that is the virus itself. A completely different disease which is a ticking time bomb developing into AIDs sometimes years later. Not sure why you are even bothering to compare the two.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-03-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
'The Gay Disease'...
I don't remember it being called that. Maybe you mean "Gay Plague"? It's an 80s term I think.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
AIDS/HIV is still there but thankfully controlled by medication.

I listened to a programme by Dr Van Tulleken on the radio the other day about the origins of HIV , it is though to have emerged in 1916 with soldiers in Cameroon shooting Chimpanzees for meat. Patient zero became contaminated by the blood of the animals and passed the virus on via the brothels . The virus progressed only slowly but as the world opened up with travel and air flights it progressed rapidly.

The corona virus is very different and I believe although we will contain each strain in time. the disease will always be with us and cause some deaths worldwide each year.

.... and yet the Chinese still were allowed to reopen their vile, filthy meat markets with blood and guts everywhere!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 12:44 PM

I don't remember it being called that. Maybe you mean "Gay Plague"? It's an 80s term I think.

Yes, I remember it being called the gay plague too, Annie.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top