Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 09:05 AM

Security.

How much do you pay for your security protection?

Norton have just automatically stopped £54.99 out of my bank account for renewal of my Norton 360 Standard.

I'm sure it shouldn't be that much.

I'm thinking of cancelling & requesting a refund.

Can you advise me of any others - less expensive please?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 09:27 AM

Re: Security.

I found Norton uses up a lot of computer memory. I now only use Avast the free download version seems to work ok
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

Norton have just automatically stopped £54.99 out of my bank account for renewal of my Norton 360 Standard.

That sounds outrageous. I pay $34 (£17) for three computers with Bitdefender for a year to give you a comparison.

My two other computers use the free MS Defender but I am not fussed about them anyway I'd just reformat them if they got attacked.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 09:50 AM

They tend to do that Carol, you can probably buy the same package from their website as a new customer for half that!

I had the same thing happen so I cancelled and got a refund then shopped around, and when you find a new company then make sure you disable the auto renewal function this time before you sign up!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 09:58 AM

Do I get my new anti virus running before I cancel the Norton or do I cancel the Norton first?

Would it matter if they were running along side each other for a short time?

So which one did you choose Barry?

Thank you Bruce & realspeed - that's just the information I am looking for.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 10:25 AM

Carol,

Probably the least expensive, as it's free, is Windows Defender.

What's best, these days, is a product that runs all the time (most freebies don't!) as a virus can hit you any time, and, as virus attacks are changing all the time, I wouldn't want a package which is only running when I remember to run it!

So, that leaves us with the 25 - 70 quid ones.

Or the Free Defender (not top of the league - but very adequate).

Defender is built, by MS, for Windows, can be set to update automatically, and is quite high in the comparison sites.

Here's a view from a good source of info:-

https://www.howtogeek.com/220232/how...ther%20nasties.

Hope this helps.

P.S. These big packages are not good at running "together". One reason being (imo) that some introduce virus "footprints", found from their continuing watch for new viruses appearing, and those footprints can be spotted by other running programs as possible viruses!

P.P.S One trick, used by some cheaper antivirus outfits, is to put "pups" in the package such that when you run your freebie test, it will show lots of "pups" found, thereby convincing you that it has done a really good & deep search.

What is a "Pup"? It's just a bit of pc code which is NOT recognised as a virus, but is a "Possibly unwanted Program" - which is (again IMO) a nothingness!
There are lots of "Possibly's" in a PC!)

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 10:43 AM

Hi Carol I got Norton free for a year from my bank, then a year at reduced price, then the price shot up so I decided to return to free protection .
I had an awful problem cancelling my subscription with Norton even though I ended it before the due date they went ahead and took the money .

I read all the reviews for free protection including on WHICH and decided on Bitdefender, I have had it a couple of years with no problems. Avast and AVG came out well in reviews too. I had AVG for many years until they started pushing me upgrade to a payment package all the time.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 11:10 AM

Do I get my new anti virus running before I cancel the Norton or do I cancel the Norton first?

Would it matter if they were running along side each other for a short time?

So which one did you choose Barry?

Thank you Bruce & realspeed - that's just the information I am looking for.
The first time it happened I went to their website, found the identical package for half the price which I bought, then cancelled the old subscription and got my money back but As Meg says, they don't make it easy!

The year after when renewal time came up I let it lapse and bought Kaspersky.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 11:49 AM

You have probably bought one years suscription with auto-renewal. Guessing here but your original subscription was about £20? If you buy one of these then you can cancel auto-renewal as soon as you install. You obviously didn't do this. Have a word with them. They might help.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 01:15 PM

I have defender and also free version of malwarebytes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top