Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 04:18 PM

Re: The Barchester Chronicles By Anthony Trollope.

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I definitely need to find this!
Thanks for the heads up Art 😁👍
Rhian, l am so pleased that you will. Honestly, l found it so charming.

I did look online to buy the DVD of it but some suppliers were charging £90+ for it. Others were much cheaper but l suppose, you took a chance on the quality for £4?

I then tried Netflix and NowTV but not on them. I never thought l would find it on YouTube but was thrilled when l did.
The picture quality was good and the spoken word was very clear, no mumbling like in some series these days.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maver-rik ->
ooh his Obadiah Slope, what a performance, makes my skin itch just thinking about it.

He is such a slime but probably the best character in it!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

28-03-2021, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It was a good production Art I thought it had been on TV since but I may be mistaken and it was on the radio .

Meg, l am not sure if it’s been on TV again since ?1982 and l am not sure why l thought about it after all these years.
I am not sure if l would have appreciated it as much listening to it on the radio? l would have missed the beautiful looking churches, houses and other buildings. The beautiful gardens, the costumes, the furniture and the silverware.
I wondered how in those days, did they keep the boiling water hot in the silver kettles and teapots as they just seemed to be on the table all the time!!

I also don’t think you have to be a religious person to enjoy this story. It is more about the workings of the cleric in the Church Of England and how important personal money seems to be to them.
It was interesting to view the personal relationships of the clergy, the deviousness of them and probably the corruption too.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
This is something not everyone would enjoy. It was first shown on BBC1 in the early 1980’s.
I was thrilled to find the 7 part series on YouTube.

It has so many famous names appearing in it...
Donald Pleasence and his daughter Angela.
Nigel Hawthorne
Clive Swift
Geraldine McEwan... l love the way she speaks in it!
Susan Hampshire
Barbara Flynn
My favourite Alan Rickman playing the slimy Reverend Obadiah Slope.
Plus many more...

Some will be put off because it’s to do with the church but the storyline is just so good and an insight into how people used to converse in those times, so clipped and precise.
It starts off a bit boring, then when the Rev Slope arrives it gets better.

There are some wonderful names in it like, Job Sculpit, Dr Vesey Stanhope, Sir Abraham Haphazard, Letitia Quiverful and Abel Handy.

I've got the DVD, Artie.
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 05:00 PM

One of the things I really like about Trollope is that he is a compassionate writer, he hardly ever causes his characters to suffer too much, and when they are going through things, he often steps out to reassure the reader that he is too fond of the character to not give them a happy ending. I find it hard to forgive Thomas Hardy for creating such wonderful characters, and then causing them to have so much grief. I hate that every time a person picks up Tess to read they put that poor girl through it all over again, it is so unfair, if I could I would destroy every copy so that she never has to endure so much suffering again.

I also like that most of Trollopes "badies" are not really bad, just weak or easily lead, which I think in general is true of most folk who take a wrong turn, or make a poor decision.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

28-03-2021, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I've got the DVD, Artie.
That’s brilliant! Tiffany. Have you watched it?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
That’s brilliant! Tiffany. Have you watched it?
Yes, twice, the whole series, but couldn't really get into it & I usually love period drama.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 03:21 AM

Brilliant series.Nigel Hawthorne really encapsulated all the vitriol in the way he pronounced the name "Slope!"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top