Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 04:28 PM

No 10 may no longer routinely disclose PM's phone calls with world leaders

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-world-leaders

Downing Street has suggested it will not always routinely release details of Boris Johnson’s calls with world leaders, after failing to disclose a number of calls with European leaders over the vaccine export dispute.

Johnson called the German chancellor, Merkel, and the French president, Macron, on Sunday, according to UK and European sources.

One Whitehall source said on Monday there had been early talks on what the UK could offer to avoid a major international dispute, including the possibility of sharing supplies from the plant.

It is usual for Downing Street to release official readouts of the prime minister’s calls with world leaders as a matter of public record, with officials present on the calls in order to release some details about what was discussed.
The prime minister’s official spokesperson said when asked about the secrecy of the calls that he did not “have anything to set out today in terms of calls”. It is understood No 10 has deemed the calls to be private conversations, despite them concerning government policy.

Allegra Stratton, the prime minister’s press secretary, said future calls would be disclosed if “a decision is taken” to do so.
Another step away by BJ from honest, open and responsible government .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 04:53 PM

Re: No 10 may no longer routinely disclose PM's phone calls with world leaders

Well as a PM, surely he must be accountable, so why is he being so....underhand? Its not personal stuff, so why not share it? Idiot. One step closer to dictatorship? (maybe a bit strong, but I don't like the way its going)
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Well as a PM, surely he must be accountable, so why is he being so....underhand? Its not personal stuff, so why not share it? Idiot. One step closer to dictatorship? (maybe a bit strong, but I don't like the way its going)
Maybe they want his advice on how to Frexit & Gerxit?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
First the Presidential briefing-room, next due is the Presidential situation-room .....
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
First the Presidential briefing-room, next due is the Presidential situation-room .....

Yawn .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-world-leaders

"Downing Street has suggested it will not always routinely release details of Boris Johnson’s calls with world leaders, after failing to disclose a number of calls with European leaders over the vaccine export dispute.

"Johnson called the German chancellor, Merkel, and the French president, Macron, on Sunday, according to UK and European sources.

"One Whitehall source said on Monday there had been early talks on what the UK could offer to avoid a major international dispute, including the possibility of sharing supplies from the plant.

"It is usual for Downing Street to release official readouts of the prime minister’s calls with world leaders as a matter of public record, with officials present on the calls in order to release some details about what was discussed.
The prime minister’s official spokesperson said when asked about the secrecy of the calls that he did not “have anything to set out today in terms of calls”. It is understood No 10 has deemed the calls to be private conversations, despite them concerning government policy.

"Allegra Stratton, the prime minister’s press secretary, said future calls would be disclosed if “a decision is taken” to do so."

Another step away by BJ from honest, open and responsible government .....
Why?
Is this evidence of him working with the EU against our own interests?

I have accused him of selling us out to the EU and this does nothing to dispel that accusation.

I worry for what the future will bring with this government and Boris in charge.

Has he given in to the Remainer members of his party?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:18 AM

I would far rather that we as a country remain able to keep our cards close to our chest rather than letting everybody see in advance the hand that has been dealt.

Far too often our media have deliberately misinterpreted what has been said just to push their own agenda.
Far too often the advantage has been handed to others because we have been too open.

It's about time that somebody understood that and at long last it's looking like the penny has dropped.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I would far rather that we as a country remain able to keep our cards close to our chest rather than letting everybody see in advance the hand that has been dealt.

Far too often our media have deliberately misinterpreted what has been said just to push their own agenda.
Far too often the advantage has been handed to others because we have been too open.

It's about time that somebody understood that and at long last it's looking like the penny has dropped.
I get your point, Zaphod - but I would have more confidence in a government that I see openly communicating with other countries, rather than silence. Silence can be misinterpreted, don't you think?
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

Absolutely on the button Zaphod. For years I've railed against government intentions being trumpeted out only to find them completely misrepresented, especially in the left wing media.

On a slightly different tack one of the worst pieces of legislation to be enacted was the Freedom of Information Act, which now used mainly for undermining government or just general mischief making.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:50 AM

No 10 may no longer routinely disclose PM's phone calls with world leaders
Note the word 'may' more speculation by the Guardian, it has become a dreadful spiteful little paper a shadow of its former self .

I think it would be a good thing anyway if every discussion wasn't routinely made public before hand. These days the media love tell us what is going to be announced before it is. I am sick of hearing ''So and so will make a speech today telling us'' defeating the whole purpose of the speech or announcement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top