Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 08:11 AM

Re: What does Easter mean to you?

I like Two at a time, Baby.

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 08:35 AM

Easter used to mean attending church it is the Christian churches greatest feastday and at home we always had a new item of clothing for Easter Sunday.
Now I just buy Easter eggs for my grandchildren and now they are bigger so soon will end too.
I suppose Easter the renewal of life is probably based on a some early pagan spring festival as well the resurrection of Christ .
Today Good Friday was a day of fasting and abstinence and all the statues in the church were covered up in purple cloth .
Today I shall probably reflect a little on the death of a man so many years ago and yet whose life inspired so many .
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Easter used to mean attending church it is the Christian churches greatest feastday and at home we always had a new item of clothing for Easter Sunday.
Now I just buy Easter eggs for my grandchildren and now they are bigger so soon will end too.
I suppose Easter the renewal of life is probably based on a some early pagan spring festival as well the resurrection of Christ .
Today Good Friday was a day of fasting and abstinence and all the statues in the church were covered up in purple cloth .
Today I shall probably reflect a little on the death of a man so many years ago and yet whose life inspired so many .
That's what I'm on about. BUt the chockie eggs and bilbies don't go astray either
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:02 AM

The birth of the Easter bunny.....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:30 AM

Easter for me is just another very long weekend on my own but I have got a little chocolate bunny to eat

I enjoyed Keezoys post too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:34 AM

Since I grew up Easter means another wretched bank holiday when the postman doesn't come .
I don't eat chocolate so Easter eggs are out...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:35 AM

I like the atmosphere at Easter, particularly when it is a nice sunny day. It is the first event since cold Christmas and gives us the spring and summer to look forward to. Plus chocolate of course.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Since I grew up Easter means another wretched bank holiday when the postman doesn't come .
I don't eat chocolate so eggs eggs are out...

Eh? What? Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Eh? What? Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
LD I don't particularly like Chocolate it is way down my list of of to eat things ....
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 09:39 AM

If nobody had told me it was easter, I wouldn't have known.

It used to mean extra time off work to me, but that all changed when I retired.

Ostara was last week in my calendar as I lean towards Pagan/Wiccan beliefs.
I do agree with Keezoy though in that the message taught by JC, assuming he really lived, has a greater meaning to humanity than worshipping a deity.

I am interested in the origins of easter traditions however, as I am in the origins of many religions. Even the word holiday comes from the words, holy-day, a day when people didn't work. Understanding, and in most cases, respecting other people's beliefs is an important part of understanding the people we meet in our everyday lives.

Easter bunnies laying eggs, the date moving around, hot-cross-buns, easter biscuits, all interest me, just don't put any cinnamon in my food.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top