Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Re: Would you though..?

I would truly hate to win that much money, it would frighten me.

I would be more than satisfied with £1 million.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 11:36 AM

It would be a mighty weird feeling to live one's life without ever having to spend even a moment "budgeting".
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 12:03 PM

Knowing my luck I'd probably die of shock!

Seriously though, I don't know and I'd only think about what I would do seriously if it ever happened.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 12:54 PM

We’re talking euro million money here £122 million just won, I don’t think most of us on here can comprehend that amount, I would imagine you could live a very luxurious lifestyle on the interest alone, but , my point is , money can do strange things to people, what’s promised if you win, can be different when you win,
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
We’re talking euro million money here £122 million just won, I don’t think most of us on here can comprehend that amount, I would imagine you could live a very luxurious lifestyle on the interest alone, but , my point is , money can do strange things to people, what’s promised if you win, can be different when you win,
The average salary in the UK is apparently circa £30k, which will yield a nett of circa £20k. This means that an "average" person spends their working life to gain approx £1million to spend.

Contextualises things a little
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 01:05 PM

As a general rule you'll never get rich working for some other bugger.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-04-2021, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
As a general rule you'll never get rich working for some other bugger.
Can't argue with that.

Before lockdown, I had to visit many large houses to give tuitions and wondered if I was jealous or not. Concluded that I was a bit (naturally), but that they were prepared to take the risks and put the hours in, which is something not in my make up.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 01:57 PM

I would like to buy a modest size house with acres of land so I could keep animals (ok, lets say small croft). I would buy a house each for the kids also with land, if they wanted (were able to maintain it), put a chunk of money into local community projects, and then...well I don't know really.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-04-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I would like to buy a modest size house with acres of land so I could keep animals (ok, lets say small croft). I would buy a house each for the kids also with land, if they wanted (were able to maintain it), put a chunk of money into local community projects, and then...well I don't know really.
Oddly enough, I don't think I'd really bother with buying any sort of property that needs much maintenance. Would probably live in different places around the world for a few months at a time and rent houses/flats. Thus any problems would be the owner's, I'd be spreading the wealth (shrouds don't have pockets) and learning/experiencing many things and not leaving a load of bits n bobs for my kids to sort out when I peg out.

Naturally, I'd have sorted out my family and a few friends beforehand so they can make their own decisions.

The only difficulty with this plan is what to do with our cats.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Oddly enough, I don't think I'd really bother with buying any sort of property that needs much maintenance. Would probably live in different places around the world for a few months at a time and rent houses/flats. Thus any problems would be the owner's, I'd be spreading the wealth (shrouds don't have pockets) and learning/experiencing many things and not leaving a load of bits n bobs for my kids to sort out when I peg out.

Naturally, I'd have sorted out my family and a few friends beforehand so they can make their own decisions.

The only difficulty with this plan is what to do with our cats.
I see your point, Dextrouse, and if that would work for you, then go for it (when you win, that is!). I have moved around all my life, and feel happier with a base to call home. Travel would feature a lot, yes, but I'd always need my own place

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top