Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 02:31 PM

Re: Would you though..?

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I see your point, Dextrouse, and if that would work for you, then go for it (when you win, that is!). I have moved around all my life, and feel happier with a base to call home. Travel would feature a lot, yes, but I'd always need my own place
Fair enough. Not saying I wouldn't have somewhere in the UK as a base (after all, I do have some belongings), but nothing special with a load of land round it which I'd be responsible for.

Might reconsider after travelling for a few years, but for the present that's my plans.

Just one little tiny detail preventing it from going ahead!!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Oddly enough, I don't think I'd really bother with buying any sort of property that needs much maintenance. Would probably live in different places around the world for a few months at a time and rent houses/flats. Thus any problems would be the owner's, I'd be spreading the wealth (shrouds don't have pockets) and learning/experiencing many things and not leaving a load of bits n bobs for my kids to sort out when I peg out.

Naturally, I'd have sorted out my family and a few friends beforehand so they can make their own decisions.

The only difficulty with this plan is what to do with our cats.
I like the sound of that TBH.

The reason I haven't yet visited Oz & NZ is because it would need at least a few months and probably more, which is awkward with children still in education.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Fair enough. Not saying I wouldn't have somewhere in the UK as a base (after all, I do have some belongings), but nothing special with a load of land round it which I'd be responsible for.

Might reconsider after travelling for a few years, but for the present that's my plans.

Just one little tiny detail preventing it from going ahead!!
What would that be I wonder....a few lucky numbers on a pink slip of paper maybe??
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I like the sound of that TBH.

The reason I haven't yet visited Oz & NZ is because it would need at least a few months and probably more, which is awkward with children still in education.
Yep. Hopefully the time and opportunity will come.

Also, wouldn't bother buying a car. Taxis and/or rentals will suffice and have the obvious benefits.

Finally, I like the idea of being able to up-sticks at the drop of the hat and go to the airport with wallet, keys (although not really sure why I'd need any), phone, passport and nothing else. Fly somewhere new, stay in a hotel for a bit while a flat/house rent is sorted out.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-04-2021, 02:41 PM

What would that be I wonder....a few lucky numbers on a pink slip of paper maybe??
Indeed. Being deeply conscious of my carbon footprint, I do mine online to prevent wasteful paper and worrying about where I've put the ticket.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 02:47 PM

Oh, very noble of you! I do that too...and do a screenshot for my own records, just in case they forget to email me y'know...
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-04-2021, 02:53 PM

Oh, very noble of you! I do that too...and do a screenshot for my own records, just in case they forget to email me y'know...
There's little more soul destroying than getting an email, trying to hold a realistic sense of hope, logging onto the site/app (normally after having to change your password since it's been so long since you last heard from them), trying to remember where you might find the info before finally locating and looking at the message that tells you that you've won £2.70

Edit - forgot to mention that it normally takes a minute or two swiping through your apps looking for which app it might actually be!!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

04-04-2021, 03:00 PM

Oh I know..."We have news about your ticket!" is always a heart stopping moment for me. Usually its a couple of pounds or a lucky dip. I did win £30 a few weeks back - that was exciting! I re-invested though, as you do.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-04-2021, 03:04 PM

Oh I know..."We have news about your ticket!" is always a heart stopping moment for me. Usually its a couple of pounds or a lucky dip. I did win £30 a few weeks back - that was exciting! I re-invested though, as you do.
Quite!! Well done on that £30. Not sure that "reinvest" is the right term; more "mitigate the losses to date"
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 04:43 PM

V and I have discussed winning a million, or even £500k, with Ernie and what we'd do with it all. We own our home, our car is only 1 yr old, we're steadily improving our home - new bathroom and so on as we go along so, any big wins would be "icing on the cake". This "icing" will be put into a trust to cover us in case we need long term care in the future - any left over will go to our great nieces.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top