Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 01:33 PM

BBC Lunchtime News.

While the News is being read, I have often wondered why they have a person doing sign language in the background when sub titles are available.

Does anybody know?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 01:35 PM

Re: BBC Lunchtime News.

No idea, Carol...maybe not everyone watching can read English? Dyslexia, possibly? Haven't a clue but it can be a little distracting sometimes
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 02:00 PM

Carol, Maybe not all people who are profoundly deaf can read as it may have been impossible for them to learn?

....but then.... how do they know the meaning of the signing if they've never heard, or read words?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 02:02 PM

An increasing number of people now in our country can't read much less understand English. They have to be catered for because of diversity. Makes me sick.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Carol, Maybe not all people who are profoundly deaf can read as it may have been impossible for them to learn?

....but then.... how do they know the meaning of the signing if they've never heard, or read words?
Doh! of course, Arty...never thought of that bit when I commented, ha!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
While the News is being read, I have often wondered why they have a person doing sign language in the background when sub titles are available.

Does anybody know?
The way the subtitles are composed and displayed can confuse many people because the lines are often changed or added to before the reader can digest what is in front of them. British sign works much better for those that understand it and I am one of them as we used to foster hearing impaired children.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Doh! of course, Arty...never thought of that bit when I commented, ha!
Pixie, Until we really have to think about things, we see no further than what is in front of us.
It’s only at times like this, when we really have to think about it, do we realise what a struggle in life, some people have.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

05-04-2021, 02:46 PM

I took a night class in sign language a couple of years ago. It came in useful with my job, but for the most part I have never had to use it. A hard of hearing neighbour just lip reads and gestures (not in BSL....a shorthand version of her own)
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 03:39 PM

When watching the BBC Lunchtime News I hear 90% of what's being said, lip reading helps. The subtitles fill in, allowing me to get the other 10%. Most of that 10% I don't get is proper nouns: people and places: that can't be done in sign language, surely. The most irritable habit the BBC has nowadays is having other text and graphics cluttering the bottom of the screen, subtitles above that sometimes covering the speaker's face, make the element of lipreading impossible

Watching the news on Channel 1 solves the sign language problem.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I took a night class in sign language a couple of years ago. It came in useful with my job, but for the most part I have never had to use it. A hard of hearing neighbour just lip reads and gestures (not in BSL....a shorthand version of her own)
Was that when you were a Lighthouse Keeper?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top