Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 05:50 PM

Nasturniums for pest control?

I was curious as to whether anyone has used Nasturniums as a barrier plant to shield veg from pests.

I have some sturdy little plants grown from seed and was planning to put into pots for their lovely blooms but read about this alternative use today.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 08:35 PM

Re: Nasturniums for pest control?

Didn't know about the Nasturtiums Annie, but I know people use Calendula (marigolds) as a repellent.
I used to know an organic market gardener who always planted them between his tomato plants.

If you like the idea of natural repellents, you might like this info:

https://trugreenmidsouth.com/blog/11...eep-bugs-away/
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:00 PM

Nasturiums are great to eat - both leaves and flowers - and look spectacular in salads.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Nasturiums are great to eat - both leaves and flowers - and look spectacular in salads.

Didn't know about the leaves being edible Lindy, but I know the petals are. Dont some people add the flowers to salads?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Didn't know about the leaves being edible Lindy, but I know the petals are. Dont some people add the flowers to salads?
The leaves have a slight mustardy/spicy taste - they really are delicious and the flowers are good to eat too and look great in salads.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 02:11 AM

I keep Nasturiums growing all year round much nicer than lettuce in a sandwich - personally only eat the leaves the flowers are unimpressive. Love the taste of them and they grow like a weed.

No idea about their pest repellent properties, they certainly don't stop stinkbugs on the neighbouring citrus trees
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes - and you can use the seed pods as an alternative to capers.

You need to be careful though as too much can be damaging.
I cannot eat them as I am allergic to sulphur.

More information here:-

https://www.botanical-online.com/en/...china-toxicity

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top