Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 12:24 PM

Re: Out Of Date Products Plus a collector of Half used items.

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Okay I know the reason why but it did tickle me when I first noticed a "use by" date on a bottle of Buxton water. I mean water's been kicking around for 4.3 BILLION years and I'm being told to consume it by within a year? What's that all about?
It'll be because of the plastic, most likely. Allegedly.....once a bottle is opened, the air somehow contaminates the plastic and it leeches into the water. This is why you must "never refill a plastic bottle of water" only a glass one.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
It'll be because of the plastic, most likely. Allegedly.....once a bottle is opened, the air somehow contaminates the plastic and it leeches into the water. This is why you must "never refill a plastic bottle of water" only a glass one.

Hmmmm, I use a plastic bottle every day when I'm at the swimming, same one each time. I get thirsty especially after my swim and I'm lounging in the sauna.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 12:32 PM

Yes I agree PK - I never refill those thin single-use water bottles. But I do use the plastic drinks bottles that are made for the purpose of filling and re-filling - I keep one by my bed every night (I just know I would knock a glass of water over ). So how come they are considered safe, I wonder?

Though, I have to say, I have considered buying some stainless steel ones.... until, of course, it's discovered there's some hidden danger lurking in the 'stainless' processing...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Yes I agree PK - I never refill those thin single-use water bottles. But I do use the plastic drinks bottles that are made for the purpose of filling and re-filling - I keep one by my bed every night (I just know I would knock a glass of water over ). So how come they are considered safe, I wonder?

Though, I have to say, I have considered buying some stainless steel ones.... until, of course, it's discovered there's some hidden danger lurking in the 'stainless' processing...
I can only assume they are made with a "different" kind of plastic, Bathsheba. I am honestly shrugging my shoulders at that. I have the refill ones too, just in case! Maybe its all a lie just to sell more water?!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 01:14 PM

I can only assume they are made with a "different" kind of plastic, Bathsheba. I am honestly shrugging my shoulders at that. I have the refill ones too, just in case! Maybe its all a lie just to sell more water?!
It is about the chemicals that leach out of the plastic into the contents over time.

It's a BIG problem with a variety of plastics and some foodstuffs are more badly affected by others. Cheese is a particular case and some plastic films should never be used directly on cheese.

Also casual use of cling film in a microwave. I have a very bad habit of ignoring this and rather than use microwave safe stuff just grabbing whatever's close. I get severely bollocked whenever seen doing so!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

06-04-2021, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It is about the chemicals that leach out of the plastic into the contents over time.

It's a BIG problem with a variety of plastics and some foodstuffs are more badly affected by others. Cheese is a particular case and some plastic films should never be used directly on cheese.

Also casual use of cling film in a microwave. I have a very bad habit of ignoring this and rather than use microwave safe stuff just grabbing whatever's close. I get severely bollocked whenever seen doing so!
I've never used cling film, really...not for any health reason, I've just always used tin foil instead. NOT in the microwave, I hasten to add! There would be more than a bollocking going on if I did that, heh!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top