Join for free
Page 24 of 27 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:32 PM

Re: World War II

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Eh? I thought the Normans were Vikings?
They were indeed.
Normans = Norse men, although by then they'd begun to pick up a bit of French for some reason.

Regardless of that, I'd argue that the Normans were actually nothing like the Frogs. Apart from anything else, the Frogs have never had the ability or the will to invade England. The first sign of opposition and the white flags would be waving!

No, the Normans were good fighting men, just like the Vikings were. Both they and the Vikings succeeded (at different times) to invade and conquer Anglo-Saxon England.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:39 PM

I'm not sure whether it was JBR who made the original assertion. Perhaps you can discuss Pope with him eh?
Oh dear. It gets worse. My reference to Pope was as an observation to your reference to the Normans as being Vikings. Admittedly the (French) Normans did evolved from invaders from the North and probably included Vikings - but that's a lot different than Normans BEING Vikings.

Pope had written in his poem "A Little Learning" some rather good and certainly appropriate advice.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:41 PM

I meant that perhaps the antipathy goes back to Hadrian's wall (as you said that both Catholics and protestants feel the same). I have a (lapsed protestant) friend who feels superior to the English because his father is Scottish. Despite the fact that his mum was from Lancs!). There seems to be a certain magic in Scottish genes. Did I mention I have relatives in Scotland?
But that was the Scots vs. the Romans.

By the time the Romans had left, the Anglo-Saxons (or the Angles in the north of England) may well have fought with the Scots, but as far as I'm aware by then the Wall was no doubt decrepit and ineffective.
I'm sure that religion was unlikely to have caused any resentment anyway, as they were all probably pagans.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
But that was the Scots vs. the Romans.

By the time the Romans had left, the Anglo-Saxons (or the Angles in the north of England) may well have fought with the Scots, but as far as I'm aware by then the Wall was no doubt decrepit and ineffective.
I'm sure that religion was unlikely to have caused any resentment anyway, as they were all probably pagans.
Oh my sainted aunt. It gets worse.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 09:45 PM

Without us, there would be no U.S.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 10:48 PM

France didn't really have much choice DM. Invaded countries did what they could to survive. It's interesting Italy always gets off lightly when France is castigated.
France was not invaded !!
The Gerries were allowed in without facing any resistance other
than the Dunkirk fiasco. !!
They were greeted with flowers on entering Paris ??
Their fleet showed the most fighting spirit by departing for North
Africa to keep out of the way !!
At the same time Dr Gaulle fled to UK to pester us ??
The ltalians were just too good natured to fight a war imo ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Jacob Reece-Mogg's pretty good.
Is he alive??

D man!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-04-2021, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
France was not invaded !!
The Gerries were allowed in without facing any resistance other
than the Dunkirk fiasco. !!
They were greeted with flowers on entering Paris ??
Their fleet showed the most fighting spirit by departing for North
Africa to keep out of the way !!
At the same time Dr Gaulle fled to UK to pester us ??
The ltalians were just too good natured to fight a war imo ??
And no sooner had we helped to liberate his country, he turned on us.

As I keep saying: never trust a Frog (my personal motto).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Oh dear. It gets worse. My reference to Pope was as an observation to your reference to the Normans as being Vikings. Admittedly the (French) Normans did evolved from invaders from the North and probably included Vikings - but that's a lot different than Normans BEING Vikings.

Pope had written in his poem "A Little Learning" some rather good and certainly appropriate advice.
I'm sure your reference to Pope made eminent sense in your head. But it was a tumbleweed moment otherwise.

The Viking reference goes back to a discussion we had here quite a while back which basically went along the lines of :

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
No , The Normans were the descendants of Viking invaders who settled the area previously...They adopted the local language but were ethnically Norsemen.........That's why they could fight against the odds rather than relying on sheer overwhelming numbers, which is the only way the French have ever won a battle.

Tbh You , UJ, must be the ONLY person on the planet who doesn't know that Normans were Vikings once removed!!!

Of course the clue is in the name.............. North Man..............Norse Man...........Norman...........Normandy

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Norman-people
Originally Posted by Banchory ->
It’s neither. William the Conquerers father was a Norseman who was granted lands from the French king on the proviso he stopped pillaging and defended France from other Norsemen. The land became known as Normandy and the people Norman’s. William was born in Normandy and is therefore a Norman which is how history portrays him.

Yorkshire has a Norse heritage and was once the powerhouse of England. Now it’s just parkland for the rest of the UK to use for walking holidays
Here is JBR's assertion of the same as mentioned previously :

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree with you almost completely!

But I'd like to point out that William the Conqueror was not a Frog. He was a Norseman, just as the Norsemen who landed in Britain some years earlier.

Frogs, by their very nature, could never successfully invade our country!

Here's the thread :

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...normans&page=7
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 11:30 PM

So does anyone know the difference between vikings and norsemen?

Page 24 of 27 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top