Join for free
Page 4 of 27 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 06:22 PM

Re: World War II

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I love to learn.
Although there are thousands, nay millions, of authentic written sources available, the one I use as a ready reference is Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I agree that everybody should hack and trudge their way through Mein Kampf. Only too see what a deranged mind Hitler had. After that you should read "Hitler" by Ian Kershaw. Probably the world authority on the horrible little maggot. The back reads...

"Magisterial..anyone who wishes to understand the Third Reich must read Kershaw; for no one has ever done more to lay bare Hitler's morbid psyche"

Coincidenatlly, I've actually just finished it. A must read.
Shirer's rise and fall of the third reich is very good. He was an american journalist who was allowed to stay in Germany until the US declared war. Very detailed insightful history right from the 20s onwards and very well written.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Not sure if this is the right place for this - but here goes.

I am woefully ignorant about WWII - it was never covered in history lessons at school so most of my knowledge comes second hand via Hollywood and we all know the americans won! Obviously I knew we were fighting Germans but did not know the background.

However - today I have been given a boxed set of 8 x DVDs - a mixture of documentary and archive newsreel footage - which I am looking forward to watching.
Yes, of course the Americans won.

Mind you, I think that we British played a minor part, at least until 1942!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 07:15 PM

Thing is that WW2 in addition to WW1 needs to be viewed on two levels. Firstly the reasons for war being declared and secondly the incredible bravery and sacrifice by the armed forces on both sides. Also that both sides were guilty of war crimes. BOTH SIDES.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, of course the Americans won.

Mind you, I think that we British played a minor part, at least until 1942!
Speaking as an American, I don't know that I'd say, "The American's won". It is true, however, that the awesome industrial might of America, served to fortify Britain and enable her to win her 1st great victory in North Africa. Specifically, in Egypt/Libya. And, finally, with American help, complete victory in Tunisia and all of North Africa
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Thing is that WW2 in addition to WW1 needs to be viewed on two levels. Firstly the reasons for war being declared and secondly the incredible bravery and sacrifice by the armed forces on both sides. Also that both sides were guilty of war crimes. BOTH SIDES.
I'm not disagreeing because I really can't be sure, but can you cite any British examples?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 07:30 PM

I'm not disagreeing because I really can't be sure, but can you cite any British examples?
The one that sticks in my mind are the Rheinwiesenlager and the role that the Allies had in their creation.

There's quite a lot of details now emerging that at the very least form a starting point to dig deeper.

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Alli...United_Kingdom
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 07:32 PM

Yes, I suppose that we might look upon the fire bombing of Dresden, (BY BOTH BRITISH AND AMERICAN AIR FORCES) and the killing of 135,000 German civilians as a "war crime". However, when you are in a bloody street fight and fighting for your very life, where EXACTLY do you draw the line ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 07:34 PM

Of course the aggressor that caused so much suffering was not expected to get off lightly. Stalin certainly ensured that.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2021, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The one that sticks in my mind are the Rheinwiesenlager and the role that the Allies had in their creation.

There's quite a lot of details now emerging that at the very least form a starting point to dig deeper.

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Alli...United_Kingdom
All allegedly Todger??
They had human rights lawyers in those days as well you know ??
If l had liberated Dachau l would definitely have machine gunned a
few Gerries too??

Donkeyman! 👎👎

Page 4 of 27 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top