Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 10:07 PM

Re: Martin Lewis "Moneysavingexpert" or stating the bleeding obvious?

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
My tip is : Check that you don't have any holes in your pockets or you may lose money.
And here's one that even Elbee probably didn't know until a few weeks ago:-

Don't put your money in a Cyprus bank account
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
And here's one that even Elbee probably didn't know until a few weeks ago:-

Don't put your money in a Cyprus bank account
"Even Elbee didnt know?" You obviously dont read my economic blogs on my Home Owner's forum. "The Prophet"

The LAST thing I would do is put my money in overseas banks, especially those that are not FSCS protected. Eeven worse I would NEVER put more that the €100,000 that is protected either.

The Mail on Sunday was full of ads and features about how good Iceland savings account were. I never used them!

In fact as a general rule it is better to do the OPPOSITE of what the majority are doing and what he papers are saying!

But hey, what do I know, my ears don't stick out and I am not on telly!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Elbee, why so much aggression in your posts?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 01:52 PM

I've often said to anyone who'd listen that Mr lewis and his ilk are simply stating common sense and, if you are sadly lacking in this department then Yes, by all means listen to what he says but for Gawd's sake don't take it all as Gospel 'cos it isn't!

There's a whole host of daft TV Programmes doing much the same and if you sit down and actually watch how people got into some of the scrapes that they did you'd honestly believe they must be retarded but some people are absolutely stupid and therefore ANY help that they might get, FREE, will help them and, hopefully save on their knuckles dragging on the pavement too. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Thing is not everyone has the same education or experiences so saying they are stupid or knuckle draggers is very derogatory just because they lack the same knowledge you do.

Only time we have ever had any problems we couldn't see an end to in life was when we inherited a little money it caused us all sorts of problems if we had consulted ML or similar they may have stopped us getting in so much trouble.

Easier to have nothing than a sudden wind fall we found.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Thing is not everyone has the same education or experiences so saying they are stupid or knuckle draggers is very derogatory just because they lack the same knowledge you do.
I don't see what education or knowledge has to do with it Julie?
In my honest opinion, stupidity is on the increase and that is in reference to mental capacity, nothing really to do with education because if you haven't got the IQ in the first place, no amount of education is going to make any difference!

By the way, my education really wasn't great because we moved so many times as I came from a Royal Navy family and back then you were moved every two years. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Education in the sense of money and how to save or spend wisely. If I had learnt and copied my parents not only would we have been on low wages but we would have been up to our necks in debt too it is only my husbands mother who had any money sense and taught him better.

I have a tendency to be completely uncoordinated with money - never know what we have or what we haven't got just doesn't interest me at all my husband deals with it and tells me what I can or cannot spend. Works well for us but imagine two like me married recipe for financial disaster.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 05:14 PM

Martin Lewis may well be stating the bleedin' obvious but he shared his experience with the "stupid & uneducated, those lacking common sense"

Not only that... he sold his website for a cool £87,000,000
An all win situation
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 05:19 PM

I ain't got none so I don't need advice.............or do I?
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've often said to anyone who'd listen that Mr lewis and his ilk are simply stating common sense and, if you are sadly lacking in this department then Yes, by all means listen to what he says but for Gawd's sake don't take it all as Gospel 'cos it isn't!

There's a whole host of daft TV Programmes doing much the same and if you sit down and actually watch how people got into some of the scrapes that they did you'd honestly believe they must be retarded but some people are absolutely stupid and therefore ANY help that they might get, FREE, will help them and, hopefully save on their knuckles dragging on the pavement too. stevmk2
I couldnt agree more!
I saw a programme called How TV ruined your life which was really entertaining. In it they said people are so stupid that they now belive science fiction is actually real!
To prove the point, they showed a silly woman in the street a "new mobile phone" that you could call yourself on in the past. You could warn yourself not to do certain things etc.
When she realised what was being claimed she said, "
where can I get one, I like the thought of being able to talk to myself."

She even missed the point that if the phone was real, anyone could phone back the winning lottery numbers to themselves in the past every week and the winnings would be in their "present time" bank account!

Perhaps I should start bottling Sussex sea air!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top