Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Re: Warren Buffet Buys Burlington Railroad

Thanks for the link Joan, . . . now that's how to travel aint it.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Yep! They could give the airlines some great competition if they really got their act together some day.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
The trains are almost empty, 95% on time and very clean not like in the old days when State owned.
Galty, that's because you can choose when you travel. My last experience was somewhat different. I was unfortunately forced to travel every working day from Stowmarket to Liverpool Street for six months in 1995.

I remember that both in the morning and the evening the trains were jam packed, I usually got a seat in the morning but hardly ever on the return, almost everyday there were delays of up to an hour, one day it broke down just outside Ipswich and it was two hours before a bus arrived to take us to our destinations (It was cold and raining too) the excuses for lateness ranged from 'Couldn't find a driver' (Meaning he was hungover and didn't get out of bed in time) to 'Cracks in the rails' (Meaning the routine maintenance wasn't carried out correctly) The return journies in the evening were always the worst and after getting up at 05:00 and working 'till 18:00 it was a living hell getting home, and I haven't even mentioned some of the plonkers I had the dubious pleasure to sit / stand next to.

After that I vowed never ever to use rail transport again, and I haven't
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Galty, that's because you can choose when you travel. My last experience was somewhat different. I was unfortunately forced to travel every working day from Stowmarket to Liverpool Street for six months in 1995.

I remember that both in the morning and the evening the trains were jam packed, I usually got a seat in the morning but hardly ever on the return, almost everyday there were delays of up to an hour, one day it broke down just outside Ipswich and it was two hours before a bus arrived to take us to our destinations (It was cold and raining too) the excuses for lateness ranged from 'Couldn't find a driver' (Meaning he was hungover and didn't get out of bed in time) to 'Cracks in the rails' (Meaning the routine maintenance wasn't carried out correctly) The return journies in the evening were always the worst and after getting up at 05:00 and working 'till 18:00 it was a living hell getting home, and I haven't even mentioned some of the plonkers I had the dubious pleasure to sit / stand next to.

After that I vowed never ever to use rail transport again, and I haven't
Sounds like your memories are not so nice. Once the kids and I took a Amtrack train ride to Florida to visit my inlaws and we looked out the window and a very old man was on a bicycle and he was going faster than the train. Coming back we hit a cow on the tracks but didn't know the reason why we had stopped til eight hours later and still not moving. The kids loved every minute of it and I did since they were enjoying it so much. They were young then and we had a change of trains with a three hour lay over so we put some of our things in one of these 'check it' type that are much like you have in a bank for your things of value......they go back quite a ways. Anyway we went to get our things out and one bag was so far in we couldn't reach it so I slid our youngest in to fetch it, a lady going by said "I wish I would have thought of that with my son" of course meaning to check him
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2009, 04:15 PM

Anyone on the forum interested in a lovely train journey through the most beautiful scenery in Scotland can still do so.

The trains still run from Glasgow up past Loch Lomond then on to Crianlarich, . . the line then goes up over Rannoch Moor with absolutely marvellous views of peaks and moorland you don't see from the roads, . . it then goes down a beautiful glen past Loch Tulla and on to Fort William.

During summer months they run a steam train from Fort William to Mallaig on the west coast, up past the Glenfinnan monument where that clown "Bonnie Prince Charlie" raised his standard at the start of the 1745 rebellion.

Mallaig is a fishing port where they send shrimps and those exotic shellfish to the French and Spaniards which they love.

It's one of my "must do" journeys before I shuffle off this mortal coil, . . some day I'll make the journey I hope.
buzzie
USA

14-11-2009, 04:24 PM

You should try your best to do just that, Denis.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2009, 07:53 PM

I haven't ruled out a trip on the Orient Express but the last time I read about the cost it was over £2000 mind you allegedly the current cost of a 'normal' return ticket from Exeter (In Devon) to Aberdeen (Scotland) was.............wait for it £1005 which is probably more than an airline ticket to Australia
nero
Central Scotland

14-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
I haven't ruled out a trip on the Orient Express but the last time I read about the cost it was over £2000 mind you allegedly the current cost of a 'normal' return ticket from Exeter (In Devon) to Aberdeen (Scotland) was.............wait for it £1005 which is probably more than an airline ticket to Australia
How can they justify that Harvey, . . they keep harping on about us using public transport but with prices like that it's ludicrous.
hblue
New Member!
other
hblue is male 

03-04-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
Denis, what absolutely gorgeous scenery we were able to see from those observation cars and those you posted are just lovely. My best friend and I got a high school graduation gift of a trip on the Burlington to Denver Colorado and it was something I will never forget. We had mountain trout with the head and all served on a plateand everything was so grand.

I'm in a hurry to go shopping but here are a few of the trains.
Hi,

Thanks for your information. It help me to think about my project. I'll send later.

Best rgs.
hblue
New Member!
other
hblue is male 

07-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by hblue ->
Hi,

Thanks for your information. It help me to think about my project. I'll send later.

Best rgs.
Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at: Railroad interview questions

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top