Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2013, 06:51 PM

Direct Debit for Fuel Bills.

I pay all my regular bills by monthly direct debit and this includes my gas and electricity bills. I am in dispute with my provider at the moment as they want to increase my payment by around 40%. I know prices are going up but not by that amount. I have done my calculations and the proposed increase is unnecessary to break even at the end of the year. I have changed my provider twice in the past three years and it's always been for the reason that they wanted to increase my payment by more than I thought necessary. I just wonder if it's energy providers policy designed to ensure that they have your money in their bank account to improve their profit. Have any of you had the same experience ?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2013, 06:58 PM

Re: Direct Debit for Fuel Bills.

I am having a rant about Scottish Power at the moment, they are going to increase my monthly payments, because at the moment they don't cover the amount I am using, but yet they said I am £142 in credit.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2013, 06:59 PM

Yes, Alan I get this about twice a year, I tell them what I'm prepared to pay monthly, they say it's not enough & then we agree on a figure. I always say I will pay the difference if it's underestimated, but usually get a smallish bill at the end of winter. when I get through to the automated "list" I press the one for people who are thinking of leaving, they seem to be more likely to listen then!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2013, 07:01 PM

Don't forget people to ask for Warm Home discounts, or whatever your provider call theirs. It's for disabled & pensioners. I got over £100 off my electricity last year!
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Don't forget people to ask for Warm Home discounts, or whatever your provider call theirs. It's for disabled & pensioners. I got over £100 off my electricity last year!
I think I'll ask for my £142 credit back.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

02-08-2013, 07:08 PM

I asked for credit back from British Gas & got it last year.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2013, 07:16 PM

We are thinking of changing our electricity provider too.
They wanted to nearly double our payments. We are going to send in meter readings and question them about our bill.
Pressing the button for people who are thinking of leaving, is a great idea.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Hi Alan I have been with OVO for almost 2 years after it was suggested by 'Which' they were the cheapest option for me ....
https://switch.ovoenergy.com/quote-a...FbMQtAodw10AJA
... they pay me 3% on any credit balance.

I overpay during the summer to build up a surplus for the winter. If the surplus gets to large I can ask for a cash refund at any time as long as I always have a months payments in hand. I asked for a refund in April after the winter and it was paid promptly.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2013, 08:02 PM

I absolutely refuse to touch fuel bill DDs with a barge pole!!!! I am so against them and it makes my blood boil when I hear of users being treated this way.

Mum paid by this method, citing convenience. True. But I will never ever ever give them a chance to take money off me over and above what they are due. I wait for the reading (they used to ask me for it but seems now they do it themselves), they send me an email, I log into my account, and pay by Visa there and then, or transfer from my account. Simple. Their bill is paid.

Robbin beggars...
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks for that information Meg. I've stored Ovo's details and may change if I can't get my provider to see sense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top