Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 10:33 AM

Saga Shares

I'm assuming other Saga Members are getting all the bumph that we have had for years from Saga but on Friday we got an invitation to take up Saga Group Shares.

Personally I found that the advantages of Saga Membership became less and less valuable to us over the years, especially when their holidays became more and more expensive and what you got wasn't a patch on our first Saga holiday, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Likewise I got fed-up with the magazine and cancelled it because so much of it seemed to be targeted towards those members that were obviously far more affluent than we were!

The rather haughty and superior way they closed a very popular forum too took away enjoyment for hundreds of people our age and, to me, it seemed like they just didn't like being criticised or in fact any comments about Saga in any way, shape or form!

My feelings are that they are desperate now but I won't be registering any interest in their shares for the simple reason we can't afford to risk anything at all.

We've only ever had shares once before and we had to leave them for years before the price went back up enough to warrant selling them.

In that particular case my wife was in a Share-Save scheme for 10 years and, when she and hundreds of others were made redundant, the true extent of the company's failing business became apparent - so their share prices dropped like a stone!

Has anyone here actually made any decision about this share offer? stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 10:48 AM

Re: Saga Shares

Good for you ! And no, would never buy shares - I would be encouraging what I hate, 'toff' mentality because it just results in higher prices for the consumer ......
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't buy Saga shares for similar reasons to stevmk2, but careful selection of shares or a stocks and shares ISA is worth a thought for income in these days of disgracefully low returns on savings. Not for the faint-hearted I guess, but my short-lived foray into the market when I was earning did give good returns over a period of years. It's knowing when to sell, and what to do with the proceeds that's the hard part. I just look for income in these days of retirement. Any capital gain is just icing on the cake but small losses are not a great problem if the dividends stay reasonable - say around 3% and tax free with an ISA.
As for the Toff mentality, well if you can't beat 'em......
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 11:44 AM

No ...... would never join them
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 12:03 PM

That's OK - I always respect principles, but as an old retired guy and certainly not a Toff (you should see where I live!) I just have to find the best return for my hard-earned savings, and I'm sure I'm not alone there. As a nation we've turned into a 'Spend Spend Spend' society, much of it backed by cheap credit and printed money. This can only lead to another financial crash, and even more inflation. It's our savings that will be stolen to fix this, just as is happening now, so finding an inflation - beating haven for any cash you may have is vital if you don't want to see that cash shrinking each year. A hard choice, but a fact of life in today's shyster driven economy.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

23-02-2014, 12:06 PM

Oh - I'm not knocking you Pete - you're far from being a 'toff' But I see you get what I mean ......
2wheeler
Lincolnshire

23-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Yes Patsy and thanks for your replies. I only wish life was simpler and you could live on any bits of savings without prices going through the roof. It's a great shame that we as a country have come to this, and I'm glad I'm not a youngster today - they're the ones that are going to pick up the final bill, and are unlikely to have as comfortable or as long a retirement as my generation. My 'problems' pale into insignificance compared to what's around the corner if things continue as they are.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 12:44 PM

I had a letter from them too I guess because I have insurance with them.

I don't have money to invest in the risky stock market so won't be taking up the invitation.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 01:11 PM

That's the bumph I got, as I have contents insurance with them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

23-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
Yes Patsy and thanks for your replies. I only wish life was simpler and you could live on any bits of savings without prices going through the roof. It's a great shame that we as a country have come to this, and I'm glad I'm not a youngster today - they're the ones that are going to pick up the final bill, and are unlikely to have as comfortable or as long a retirement as my generation. My 'problems' pale into insignificance compared to what's around the corner if things continue as they are.
So agree with your post Pete - such a materialistic world now that has got so out of hand, with the fat cats just getting fatter. Opportunities for the younger generation are meagre compared to past days - it is sad ......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top