Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 11:20 AM

Re: Say, "No" to Direct Debit

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Bruce to do that I think I need a little gadget at home and yet another pin number to remember .

I am happy to leave it to the bank than to involve a third party which allows the chance of more mistakes...
No, it is done through your normal on line bank account, no third party involved, it is handled by the banks themselves.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, it is done through your normal on line bank account.
I have 9 DDs and still have to remember when they are due and to faff about paying them don't I when I can get the bank to do that for nothing..

Each biller decides how to cover their own business costs, including the cost of processing payments. Your biller can tell you more about their charges for processing payments, if any.
....it appears I could also be charged by some people for using this service...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Bruce to do that I think I need a little gadget at home and yet another pin number to remember .

I am happy to leave it to the bank with DD than to involve a third party which allows the possibility of more mistakes...

Meg darlin' - why not do as I've done and pay by standing order through your bank. That way you still retain control over your bank account and avoid the possibility of financial mistakes by the creditor.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Meg darlin' - why not do as I've done and pay by standing order through your bank. That way you still retain control over your bank account and avoid the possibility of financial mistakes by the creditor.
UJ I am happy with DD, in 40 years I have never had a problem.

Standing Orders at my bank require yet another safety feature in the form of PINsentry card so yet another number to remember.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 12:37 PM

The majority of our bills are paid by Direct Debit, it saves a lot of fuss and bother and we have never had a problem with it. You are protected under the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme so that any amount debited in error is refunded immediately.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pats
..some appear to think that DD's are giving someone else carte blanche permission to take what they like when they like from your bank account.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Basically that's exactly what they do.
No, they only take the amount that you agree to pay, they can not just change it without notifying you first.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Exactly Pats, which is why I've already said that I would NEVER use Direct ddebits. However I do pay my rent by Standing Order. I still retain control over my money but know my bank will pay the landlord without me ever having to remember to do so.
Direct Debits let a company take agreed amounts of money to pay your bill from your account on an agreed date.

Standing orders pay an exact amount to another account regularly.

Note the word agreed.

Direct debit also gives you control over your money and has the added protection of the Direct Debit Guarantee.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Originally Posted by Pats
..some appear to think that DD's are giving someone else carte blanche permission to take what they like when they like from your bank account.

No, they only take the amount that you agree to pay, they can not just change it without notifying you first.
With variable bills like Electricity or Phone you agree to pay whatever the bill for that month or quarter happens to be so if they get the decimal point wrong and the phone bill is $2295 (instead of $22.95) that is what they deduct.

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 06:30 AM

I can only speak from experience and, in 40 years of using DD, I've never had a single problem. I pay a set amount each month for my utility bills but my credit card bill is paid in full every month and that is the only bill which varies.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 12:00 PM

We refused to pay anything by dd although some companies do try and push you to do so especially mobile phones.

We pay online as soon as the bill is due.

I used to pay some things by dd when I was single and I too found out that they did not stop taking payment even after it had been cancelled.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top