Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 08:10 PM

Be On Your Guard.

Both myself and Sheila do on-line banking. Earlier this week I had an e-mail purporting to be from my bank. It said that due to the security threat they were upgrading the security and I had to "click here" to do so. I was suspicious because they normally send me an e-mail to say there is a message for me on their website. I phoned my bank and they advised me to get rid of the e-mail. Tonight there was a message purporting to be from Sheila's bank saying that due to the security threat any account that wasn't accessed in the next 48 hours would be closed down and "click here" to access my account. To my mind this is another scam so I got rid of it. BE ON YOUR GUARD.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 08:13 PM

Re: Be On Your Guard.

thanks Alan, I'm always wary when dealing with online finance and know how my Building Society's site works, they'd never send an email like that
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 08:50 PM

Although I don't deal with banks or anything important online it's terrible to have to be on guard all the time with your own few bob, these parasites will take advantage of every crisis, shameful.
Magic
United States
Magic is female  Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 08:54 PM

It's awful that there is always someone who thinks up ways to scam people. In this day and age we all have to be very careful.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Although I don't deal with banks or anything important online it's terrible to have to be on guard all the time with your own few bob, these parasites will take advantage of every crisis, shameful.
I think you are very wise to take this approach, also fortunate that you can. Unfortunately I have to do 'on-line' banking and stuff, it scares me witless because even if the bank refund any scam money there is all the hassle and worry of phone calls and e-mails and letters back and forth before it's sorted not to mention the time spent.

I was a great believer in 'on-line' banking at the start but as soon as it's practical I shall be giving it the elbow and going back to monthly statements and checking my balance when in my branch which I'm rapidly concluding is the only safe place to be these days
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 09:45 PM

I downloaded the Trusteer programme onto my desktop, that was mentioned on here recently. My bank also sends emails informing of a PM, to be accessed through the website.

They try their luck till some gullible person falls for it. Could you believe that Berners Lee woman fell for a scam? Told to draw out money from her account as it was counterfeit, and her bank tried to stop her. She tried for a lower amount and was then allowed to withdraw it, and realised too late she'd been conned.

Honestly!!!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 11:03 AM

I refuse to do online banking, I know of too many people who have had their accounts robbed one way or another. No matter how good a bankīs security system is there is always some smart techie out there who can crack the system. One friend of ours had her account emptied and although the bank insurers eventually paid up it took over two years of investigations etc before she got any money refunded. It was a nightmare for her and made her ill with the worry. I get lots of these scamming mails, usually purporting to be from banks I donīt use and never have used, all of them just get deleted, I donīt even read them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Both myself and Sheila do on-line banking. Earlier this week I had an e-mail purporting to be from my bank. It said that due to the security threat they were upgrading the security and I had to "click here" to do so. I was suspicious because they normally send me an e-mail to say there is a message for me on their website. I phoned my bank and they advised me to get rid of the e-mail. Tonight there was a message purporting to be from Sheila's bank saying that due to the security threat any account that wasn't accessed in the next 48 hours would be closed down and "click here" to access my account. To my mind this is another scam so I got rid of it. BE ON YOUR GUARD.

Thanks very much for that Alan. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 07:26 AM

If anyone does receive scam emails - send it here to the fraud investigators:-

https://reportlite.actionfraud.polic...ookieSupport=1

The more we notify them the better their chance of stopping/catching them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 08:43 AM

I have heard so many times from advisors, that banks will never Email or phone. So I am surprised your bank Emailed you Alan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top