Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 06:25 PM

Are your Pensioner Bonds due to mature?

Good rates when they were introduced last year.
Appears they were a gimmick not to be repeated.

http://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money...y%20Newsletter
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 06:27 PM

Re: Are your Pensioner Bonds due to mature?

Mine have already matured and are now in the bank accumulating minimal interest.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Yes, ours will mature in May at 2.9%
But we have £20,000 to mature in another 2 years as they were the 3 year ones at 3%.
I hope we live that long so as to get our grubby little hands back on our own cash!
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 01:27 AM

Here in America we have the 401k plan. Employer takes money on a monthly basis from your salary and applies it to the stock market.We decide the amount to be taken out and to what stocks. Stock broker hired by our company handles our funds. I have been with the same company now for 28 years. Market has been somewhat strong, so I can honestly say that I have a pretty penny
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 09:51 AM

Good on you eoap.
Over here we did have a scheme where you saved for 5 years in a company that you worked for. at the end of the period you could cash in the shares .
I think you bought the shares at the going rate at the commencement of the contract and that was what you paid throughout.
when you came to the end of 5 years you sold at the present day rate.
I never worked for a company that offered that facility and I have no idea what schemes are in place today, if any.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 10:03 AM

Mine's tucked away for another 2 years.

Another old savings scheme matured recently, (that is, they advised me to draw it out before it went right down). It would have been better to put it into NS&I Index-linked bonds at the time but you only find that out in retrospect. Now I'm just wondering where to put it for a few months until my kitchen's done.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 10:05 AM

The 401k plan are now being offered by most companies and we pay no taxes on the money. What we get for social security is very little for what we put in all these years. This plan is a second option for our retirement. During the course of the plan, you are not allowed to withdraw money for any reason. So it forces you to save. One of the reasons why most plans don't work is people always need money one way or another and overtime they withdraw money from wherever they can. With this plan your money is always there.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 10:19 AM

And does it keep pace with inflation?
Lila
London UK

05-02-2016, 10:57 AM

I thought the reason why most plans don't work is that people don't take the money out in time. You have to leave it in for a few years to start with, otherwise there's no point in having a plan, then there is an optimum time to withdraw the money, and then they start dwindling away to nothing.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
Mine's tucked away for another 2 years.

Another old savings scheme matured recently, (that is, they advised me to draw it out before it went right down). It would have been better to put it into NS&I Index-linked bonds at the time but you only find that out in retrospect. Now I'm just wondering where to put it for a few months until my kitchen's done.
Have you considered premium bonds Lila?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top