Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Free Financial Advisor

Im just wondering if anyone has tried one of these, and if they were happy with the result. Im supposed to look at Estate Agents as thats where they are to be found. Estate Agents are not on my people to trust list.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 11:01 AM

Re: Free Financial Advisor

No experience of them, but my guess would be that they work on commission and will therefore only advise on stuff which brings them the most money. Not necessarily the best advice for you.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 11:06 AM

Hi Nom sounds a bit suss. Nobody does anything for free x
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 11:30 AM

Hi Nom .... if you have a Building Society account you are usually offered free financial advice.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Im just wondering if anyone has tried one of these, and if they were happy with the result. Im supposed to look at Estate Agents as thats where they are to be found. Estate Agents are not on my people to trust list.
The term you should be looking for here is Independent Financial Advisor.

However, I personally don't believe for a second that such things exist. All Financial Advisors have a bias of some kind and a great many get commissions from steering you toward specific savings/investment mechanisms.

What you must do therefore is contact a few and ask if they will give you free advice but that they should be clear that on the day, you will not, on principle, sign up to any investment scheme they advise, and that you are only wanting his/her inputs on that day.

I think you will still find some candidates but of course they may want to make a charge for their time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
No experience of them, but my guess would be that they work on commission and will therefore only advise on stuff which brings them the most money. Not necessarily the best advice for you.

Be careful Nom, I'm inclined to agree with Ania here.

In the town near me, there is a 'shop' http://www.communitylawservice.org.u...viceoffice.php

Is there anything like that up your way to help?
Failing that, what about Age UK, I believe they can advise on this type of thing too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 11:36 AM

Friend of mine was very nearly stitched up by one of these people So I would not even consider one of these independant service advisors. Just stop and think "how do they earn their living"
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 11:37 AM

The advice to find one came from CAB, i went to see one of there financial advisors to be told we cant advise about financial matters. Its to do with an endowment policy btw.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
The advice to find one came from CAB, i went to see one of there financial advisors to be told we cant advise about financial matters. Its to do with an endowment policy btw.
Did you try the link I sent on post 6. Nom?

Here's something else that might be some help..

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...wment-policies
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

11-04-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The term you should be looking for here is Independent Financial Advisor.

However, I personally don't believe for a second that such things exist. All Financial Advisors have a bias of some kind and a great many get commissions from steering you toward specific savings/investment mechanisms.

What you must do therefore is contact a few and ask if they will give you free advice but that they should be clear that on the day, you will not, on principle, sign up to any investment scheme they advise, and that you are only wanting his/her inputs on that day.

I think you will still find some candidates but of course they may want to make a charge for their time.
Yes the advice was an free independant financial advisor,and like you im skeptical about the that they would not in some way be linked to something else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top