Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 04:28 PM

Re: Negative Interest

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Back in the late 60's everybody paid bank charges
Nonsense !
I have had bank accounts since the 1960's and have never paid a brass farthing in bank charges.
My present Santander 123 current account pays me handsomely to operate it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Nonsense !
I have had bank accounts since the 1960's and have never paid a brass farthing in bank charges.
Back in the 80s they were still charging unless you stayed £500
In credit. I can remember thinking it odd if you didn't have much money they charged you but if you were reasonably off they didn't.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 04:44 PM

I certainly paid bank charges foe every transaction in the 60's and well into the 70's.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 06:13 PM

Nonsense !
I can tell you that you paid per entry or on turnover... the customer even had a choice. I was working for a bank at that time and the only ones who didn't pay charges were the staff or those with special concessions. They were automatically taken from you bank statement... so those who didn't do a monthly, or quarterly check, may not have noticed. I was in control of the charges, so if a good looking sexy guy came in to complain, I could usually arrange a refund.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 06:20 PM

I don't understand any of that Twinkle.
I can categorically state that I have never paid any bank charges ever !
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 06:31 PM

Perhaps you had a special friendship with the manager. there were always a few who got favours
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 06:36 PM

Perhaps you might have to soon.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 06:48 PM

I had a current account in Barclays that I used for my cabs. It was quite healthy and cash was paid in monthly. I would normally write cheques for the outgoing expensives.
Suddenly after many years, they started adding charges. I went and asked them why they are doing this.
They made some excuse that it was an active account. Eh! So what I have had this account for many years, so why suddenly you are charging me?
They said that they will not charge me anymore.
About 6 months later I saw on my statements that they had started charging me again.
When I again questions this, they now said it is a business account and they have to charge.
Up yours.. I closed the account and went to the Abbey national, and stayed there with no charges until I retired and closed that account as I no longer needed it.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

28-07-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Perhaps you had a special friendship with the manager. there were always a few who got favours
So what are these charges and where and when are the applied and to which accounts ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

28-07-2016, 09:21 AM

So what are these charges and where and when are the applied and to which accounts ?
They were taken from your bank account on a monthly or quarterly basis, usually on current accounts. I picked up this on the internet to confirm.

Charges for specific transactions
Until the 1980s, most banks in the UK charged for all transactions. A number of newer entrants to the personal current account market took a "no fees whilst in credit" approach, leading very rapidly to a situation where no bank could compete with others without offering the same deal.

While the loss of income incurred was, to some extent, covered by the interest earned on carrying balances in current accounts, the banks' profitability on personal current accounts was severely impacted by this change in the charging structure. In turn this led to the banks' increased use of charges for exceeding overdraft limits as a means of generating their required level of profitability.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top