Join for free
Page 2 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:41 PM

Re: Does being a good human being matter to you?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It is important to me not to cause others harm. It's impossible to avoid sometimes but it's never intentional. I don't agree with the death penalty, but I do believe in assisted dying if someone really wants to end their own suffering from illness.

It's natural for humans to delight in the pain of others. It's a side to our psyche that should be discouraged in a civilised society. So if you take the very serious step of condemning someone to death it should not be to satisfy dark urges for revenge and pain, but purely to seek justice with the least gratification.
ooooo Annie, I wouldn't say I would 'delight' in the pain of someone who was executed, but I would probably think they don't deserve to be on earth.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Only in the states where they have eternal appeals .
When there was CP in the uk execution took place within a few weeks of the last appeal .
We haven't had in UK for decades so its a bit of an irrelevant comparison.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't agree with the death penalty, but I do believe in assisted dying if someone really wants to end their own suffering from illness.
Although off topic (sorry), irrespective of the moral arguments that abound, there are financial implications. First being that insurers would be exempt from paying out any life insurances if the death could thus be deemed as suicide. Second, anyone who assists would not be able to benefit from the subsequent financial proceeds, whether this is a life insurance or, more pointedly, inheritance from the deceased's estate. Theoretically, the state would inherit the estate and could force the sale of a house in order to pay any legal costs.

This aspect is rarely pointed out by proponents from either side, which seems a worrying omission IMHO.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 09:08 PM

Hang him - simples!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
We haven't had in UK for decades so its a bit of an irrelevant comparison.
Not really .
Other countries that have still have CP don’t have people on death row for decades either it’s an America form of extended cruelty .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Although off topic (sorry), irrespective of the moral arguments that abound, there are financial implications. First being that insurers would be exempt from paying out any life insurances if the death could thus be deemed as suicide. Second, anyone who assists would not be able to benefit from the subsequent financial proceeds, whether this is a life insurance or, more pointedly, inheritance from the deceased's estate. Theoretically, the state would inherit the estate and could force the sale of a house in order to pay any legal costs.

This aspect is rarely pointed out by proponents from either side, which seems a worrying omission IMHO.
That’s why people go to Dignidas and DIY.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 09:16 PM

The purpose of a death penalty should surely be utilitarian, not retribution.
To knowingly cause pain during the procedure is to stoop to a level of disregard which the prisoner has presumably demonstrated, and we should be above that if we are to claim any moral high ground.
Why is having the moral high ground important. ?

Prisoner causes pain to their victim, prisoner should receive same level of pain when they are put to death. I see no issue with that.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Whilst I can understand that life insurance would not pay out on suicide, I don't think that would be a consideration if someone is suffering so much every day. Financial legalities can be changed if the law is amended. I've never heard that an inheritance would be retained by the state. But then I don't know much about it, I just think it shouldn't be a crime when someone is being artificially kept alive.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Not really .
Other countries that have still have CP don’t have people on death row for decades either it’s an America form of extended cruelty .
You mentioned UK, not other countries.

"Most countries, including almost all First World nations, have abolished capital punishment either in law or in practice. Notable exceptions are the United States, China, India, Japan, South Korea, and most Islamic states. The United States is the only Western country to still use the death penalty."

But let that pass.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 09:42 PM

I'll probably get blasted, but I cannot be in favour of the death sentence for anyone.
Based on various reasons, one being if we would not be able to deliver the dreaded deed ourselves, why should we expect another to end a life . Those who can do must also be some sort of head case.

Another reason is when I was a young girl, I heard the bell toll at Walton prison for the last man in the country to be hanged. I can still hear that bell today, and it still sends shivers down my spine when I think about it........ like now !

Yes, they will have committed terrible crimes and destroyed families, but I feel that supporting a death penalty makes me as guilty as the perpetrator and the families of those criminals will also suffer terribly , through no fault of their own either.
Which ever way we see it, there is a life long sentence for everyone involved, but the death sentence let's the guilty off the hook .

Page 2 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top