Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 09:42 PM

local building society closing down

Yes the one and only building society is closing down, the bank closed a couple of years ago.
Now we have to travel by car to Bexhill on Sea a few miles away and pay for car parking just to carry out financial transactions. Not even a hole in the wall cash point with access from the high street. I am sure building societies and banks don't want our money (hard cash that is) or give it out

This country is rapidly going backward in time.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 10:35 PM

Re: local building society closing down

The same happened here. First the one and only local bank branch closed so I then used a building society close to a large supermarket some six miles from where I live and where I shopped. Then that was closed, the head office had the nerve to say that there was another branch just five miles away in the local town. I had already driven six miles to the first one when it was open so with that closing it meant a round trip of 22 miles plus parking at £2 a time!

What I did then was to make more use of online banking and Direct Debits to pay bills. Then I got myself a Debit card and a Credit card. The Debit card is used to pay for almost everything, I've also started using the contactless facility for small purchases up to £30. The Credit card is just for larger purchases with the balance settled in full so avoiding any charges. Whenever I shop at any supermarket now I get 'cash back' if I need it, they are happy to do this. A maximum of £50 is allowed so that solves the problem of getting cash. I dislike the 'hole in the wall' machines as I always feel unsafe with my back to anybody in the queue.

I believe Post Offices can also be used in the way banks and building societies were once used. There are ways and means around most things, it's just a case of being flexible enough to use whatever else is available, especially new technology.

One other measure I have taken is to open an account with a supermarket for online shopping, just in case for any reason I cannot get to the supermarket. Living on my own this could happen. It costs nothing to do this even if not used but is very good in an emergency if I cannot drive or get out.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 06:06 AM

Re: local building society closing down

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Yes the one and only building society is closing down, the bank closed a couple of years ago.
Now we have to travel by car to Bexhill on Sea a few miles away and pay for car parking just to carry out financial transactions. Not even a hole in the wall cash point with access from the high street. I am sure building societies and banks don't want our money (hard cash that is) or give it out

This country is rapidly going backward in time.
Hi

Purely down to profits.

Closing branches and forcing people on line increases profits.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top