Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bobhoffman833
New Member!
Porterville, Ca
Bobhoffman833 is male 

26-11-2014, 02:14 AM

I have lived off the grid for five years

I have not had a bank account, credit or anything but cash dealings for the last five years.
I am now retired on a fixed income and wonder how to get back in the swing of things. Any suggestions for a first step?
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

26-11-2014, 02:18 AM

Re: I have lived off the grid for five years

Hello, how are you tonight. I would recommend starting with a basic checking account, at least for paying bills. It sure wouldn't be wise to send cash through the mail. A saving account is nice to have, but unless it pays a decent percentage, you might as will keep money in your mattress. I definitely would recommend at least one credit card. You never know when you might need something and don't have the cash on hand.
Bobhoffman833
New Member!
Porterville, Ca
Bobhoffman833 is male 

26-11-2014, 02:35 AM

I appreciate your response and I am doing well tonight, thanks for asking. I have been "checking" on checking accounts and am having difficulty getting one because I haven't had one in years. I am trying to get one when I can't have one because I haven't had one. I feel queezy.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 02:40 AM

I am also on a fixed income/pension. I do all my banking online and pay all my bills online. I've been doing it that way for decades.
Never had any problems and recommend it to anyone.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I am also on a fixed income/pension. I do all my banking online and pay all my bills online. I've been doing it that way for decades.
Never had any problems and recommend it to anyone.
We, my wife and I would never bank on line the risk of hackers is too great no matter how secure the transaction may appear to be. The thing the hackers aim at is getting hold of bank accounts, once the fraudsters have that you can kiss goodbye to your savings
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 07:10 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the bank is responsible in case their system is being hacked into. There is no risk for me. My money is safe.
Might be different in your country or perhaps just with your bank.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We, my wife and I would never bank on line the risk of hackers is too great no matter how secure the transaction may appear to be. The thing the hackers aim at is getting hold of bank accounts, once the fraudsters have that you can kiss goodbye to your savings
If hackers looked at my account they'd put some savings in!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 08:05 AM

Why after that amount of time do you want to Bank etc?.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 08:23 AM

I have used online banking for many years now. I cant start worrying about hackers at this late stage. Anyway if anybody wants my overdraft they're welcome to it!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 10:44 AM

If you have problems getting a current account some banks do a basic account for people who need to start out, might be an idea to ask if any near you do one of those, they don't come with all the whistles and bangs a normal account comes with and no online banking but they do give you the basics you need to begin with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top