Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 08:11 AM

It's Hell Out There!

Last weekend I went to Canberra during the coldest weekend this year. Fortunately I was able to capture some of the weekend to show that living in Australia is not all sweetness and light.

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 08:14 AM

Re: It's Hell Out There!

Serves you right why should you have lovely weather all the time .
Besides snow will fill up the reservoirs.
It's wet and miserable here and it's only August .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Last weekend I went to Canberra during the coldest weekend this year. Fortunately I was able to capture some of the weekend to show that living in Australia is not all sweetness and light.

We have a friend that lives in Canberra and who loves it for the cooler summers, the downside of course being the colder winters. On the upside though spring is just around the corner for her now...
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 10:26 AM

A cute little fluttering of snow Bruce.

I remember the winter of '63 ... don't get me started ...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 11:27 AM

The big freeze of winter 1963 - some facts:

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
A cute little fluttering of snow Bruce.

I remember the winter of '63 ... don't get me started ...
Originally Posted by Omah ->
The big freeze of winter 1963 - some facts:

I walked to school everyday in the winter of 1963 (after digging my way to the footpath) so there is nothing you can tell me about that. I even watched the BBC's Tonight program when Cliff Michelmore suggested to Britain that it was the beginning of a new ice age.

Much younger I holidayed at Hunstanton in the summer of 1953 after it was devastated by the biggest natural disaster in British history. Unfortunately I was at an age when my understanding of North Sea surges was such that I spent the entire holiday terrified that it was about to happen again at any minute.

Anything else you wish to know about inclement weather in the UK?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I walked to school everyday in the winter of 1963 (after digging my way to the footpath) so there is nothing you can tell me about that. I even watched the BBC's Tonight program when Cliff Michelmore suggested to Britain that it was the beginning of a new ice age.

Much younger I holidayed at Hunstanton in the summer of 1953 after it was devastated by the biggest natural disaster in British history. Unfortunately I was at an age when my understanding of North Sea surges was such that I spent the entire holiday terrified that it was about to happen again at any minute.

Anything else you wish to know about inclement weather in the UK?
reminisce away ....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

12-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We have a friend that lives in Canberra and who loves it for the cooler summers, the downside of course being the colder winters. On the upside though spring is just around the corner for her now...
Ha ha, I suspect they haven't lived in Canberra for very long if they are looking forward to cooler summers. Canberra is renowned for its freezing winters and unbearably hot summers - that is why most Australians live on the coast.

I think the mean maximum in summer is over 28°C whereas the mean minimum in winter is 0°C (those figures are from memory but about right)

There are lots of lovely things to say about Canberra but its climate is not one of them.

BTW all that traffic on that road is purely because of the snow which is not normal for that area, if you drove there any other weekend you would be lucky to see four cars. The unusual cold snap over the week meant that snow fell as low as 500 metres as far north as Queensland.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top