Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Never watched the Simpsons as it is one of those cartoons where the all important drawing style put me off espcially more so when they were animated. Horrible looking lot. I liked Andy Cap and Florrie but The Wizard of Id by Johnny Hart was my favoutite with his simple but hilarious use of words.

Guard : One o'clock and all is well.
Guard : Two o'clock and all is swell.
Guard : Three o'clock and the King is a fink.
King : Four o'clock and the guard's in the clink.

Mel Brooks knew a thing or two when he ripped a lot of Harts stuff for The History of the World Part l when humour could be laughed at for what it was rather than be accompanied by a lenghty discussion as to it's meaning and PC merits. Blazing Saddles beans scene comes to mind.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 01:41 PM

Mel Brooks, a comic genius. He's 93 now, seems the more you laugh the longer you live, wasn't Bob Hope and George Burns over the 100 mark when they Died?

There is no harm in having a little fun with bible stories in my opinion, none of us were there when these events took place so it’s only natural to use our imagination when we try to picture them in our minds, and if they appear funny then why not have a laugh. I’m not religious but I understand those who are and most folks I know never take offence at harmless religious satire, I mean God wouldn’t be God if he hadn’t got a sense of humour.
When I was an altar boy back in the mid 50’s we had a priest who used to do the children’s mass every Sunday at 10 am, he never gave a sermon to the kids, just took popular bible stories and made them into adventure tales using the modern terminology of the day, he would leave the kids in suspense as he’d split the stories into episodes and tell them all to come back next week to find out what happened, it always worked as the kids mass was always packed, even some adult kids down the back of the church would tune in. Lord rest him, he was way ahead of his time.

And you couldn’t leave out this fella when it comes to religious comedy, he was telling holy howlers on stage when it was dangerous to tell them.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 06:04 PM

Ahh David Tynan O'Mahony with his many tales of how he lost that middle knuckle. A saint if ever there was one.

Been doing a bit of clearing out and I say a bit because all my good intentions waned the more I looked at things I was supposed to be clearing out. I wasn't de cluttering ..awful word that....because what I have is and never was clutter. At one time or another it was either useful or wanted...and thereby hangs that waning feeling that maybe what I am supposed to be clearing out may still come in useful.

Like my 1977 copy of Mr Digwalls Everyday gardening book given to me in the hope I would stop murdering every rose bush I touched...or the 12 silver apostle spoons which are absolutely useless but H samuals gave them to my aging Mum as a gift when they replaced her worn out wedding ring and how could I possible throw out that funny little wooden pie crimper that I took such delight in as a nipper to make patterns in my own clay pies. (that always earnt me a clout round the ear I can tell you).

Still I did well..4 odd dinner plates, some scatter cushions, chrocheted throws and...hold on wasn't one of those throws made by old Mrs Clark with her arthritic hands ..on second thoughts no I can't possibly throw that one out as we could have a real cold snap this winter.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 10:41 PM

What happened to all the particle bashing, seems to have gone a bit quiet, do the TeVs need cranking up?
solo
UK

14-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What happened to all the particle bashing, seems to have gone a bit quiet, do the TeVs need cranking up?
. I'm leaving this one to Jem who'll be sure to dazzle you with his Irish logic..or confuse you totally as.....

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 02:45 PM

Is that the Hadron Collider Project you speak of Spitty? I believe it crashed. Oh God.eez terrible.
One of the most expensive experiments in history, and what did it achieve? absolutely nothing.
As far as I know they’re all still down in the tunnel sitting on their Higgs bottoms banging balls together and collecting fat cheques for having such fun, nice work if you can get it.

I agree Solo, decluttering is a terrible word but there is a reason for them using it, it’s to install in our brains that all our old possessions are “Clutter” or junk, so the sensible thing to do is get rid of it.
There was a much nicer term in the old days for clearing out unwanted old stuff, Spring cleaning, but that’s not strong enough to make folks part with things they hold dear to them, Spring cleaning sounds as though a person could actually enjoy themselves doing, you know, fluttering about the house in a maids costume with a fluffy duster and singing a happy song as you go, and we couldn’t have that now could we, we would be going back to Victorian times when the motto was “Waste not want not”, the charity shops would all close up and a few antique dealers would have no stock.

I have made plenty of space in the big shed for anything I felt will come in handy and it does, My son and daughter are always getting things from Dad’s shed, hard to find old screws and tools, electric cables, their old school writings and artwork to show their own kids and I recently got a big kiss on the cheek from my daughter as she looked at her poems from her childhood years “Oh thanks for holding on to them for me daddy, I though you threw them out long ago” “My pleasure love”
One man's junk is another man's gold.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Its been a bit quiet a the Collider of late, is it time to get our "Clackers" out, and start experimenting.
solo
UK

15-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Its been a bit quiet a the Collider of late, is it time to get our "Clackers" out, and start experimenting.

Playing with yer clackers could lead to complications spitty. Inflation for instance or a rise in global warming...even the noise of all that banging could send many deaf so all a bit risky or risque depending on how yer view things. Probably best to leave yer clackers safely tucked away .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

15-08-2019, 02:42 PM

Have no fear Spitty, I know how anxious you particle collider fans get about the latest bang news, but help is comin' soon.

The mother of all colliders is on it’s way, a snip at a mere $22 billion, but the scientists are not too excited about it because there may be nothing to find, it appears they learned everything they wanted to know with the old one, but forgot to tell anyone what they found, which in fact was nothing, seems to me that they want to hold onto their cushy jobs, what better way to do this than build a brand new round collider to take them up to pension time.
The official thinking behind that being what the particle loses on the smaller swing it gains on the bigger roundabout, anyway if they still can’t find anything they can always save a few quid by turning it into an underground transport system around Geneva, or rounding up an international team and staging the mother of all rounder games.
They could have saved billions had they listened to my simple idea in the first place, take a few tiny ball bearings up in a plane and drop them, one at a time, down a long tube, you get the same result-nothing, but it’s a quicker and cheaper way of finding nothing, the fools said I was mad.

“The $22 billion gamble: why some physicists aren’t excited about building a bigger particle collider
Particle accelerators have taught us so much about physics that the new one might have nothing to find”
By Kelsey Piper Jan 22, 2019.

solo
UK

15-08-2019, 04:46 PM

Your green diagram reminds of something I just read Jem . Most mornings I make a cuppa, sit down at the PC and wander through the newspapers to see what is worth reading. Those writers with nowt much to say like to tempt you with catchy headliners which are to be avoided as they will no doubt be the most boring so it's the smaller ones I go for..something to lighten the ever lasting news gloom...and yesterdays perusal was no exception when this had me jumping for joy. Fears-downpours-cause-shortage-Brussels-sprouts. Yipee I yelled because Who hasn't nibbled, hidden or pushed a sprout around their plate at Christmas

Seems that this August downpour is going to wreck the Lincoln sprouts crops and so ruin our Christmas. Now if that isn't an article to cause mirth and merriment throughout the land I really don't know what is. I could literally hear cries of MORE RAIN PLEASE.

Finding ways of how not eat a sprout at the risk of offending a cullinary sensitive relative should be praised and the article should have read 'Christmas saved by sprouts shortage'. Now that would have been far more truthful and could even give those particle physicists something sensible to solve instead of playing with their very expensive balls

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top