Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tony58
London, UK
tony58 is male  tony58 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 11:25 PM

Exercises before knee replacements

My knees are worn out, they hurt all the time. I went to the doctors about 2 years ago, but they said I wasn't old enough to have knee replacements. I had keyhole surgery 4 years ago to clean out the debris from my worn cartilages. I think I am now old enough for replacements, I'll have to go back to the doctors. I was wondering if anyone knew what exercises would help me, both lose a bit of weight, and help strengthen the leg muscles. As I said, my knees hurt all the time and walking can get a bit painful. I certainly can't run at all. I can still play the guitar though. Seriously though, I wonder if anyone can advise me on this.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 11:34 PM

Re: Exercises before knee replacements

Hi Tony

I had a problem with my right knee some years ago (still gets a bit jippy occasionally) but one of the exercises I remember the physio telling me was to sit on the floor with legs in front. Pull your toes towards your head, then gently lift your leg off the floor, keeping your toes pulled back. One leg at a time obviously. (I don't mean pull back with your hands, just using your muscles).

Floydy is the muscle man on here, hopefully he can advise you.

Can I ask what caused your problems, was it your job?
tony58
London, UK
tony58 is male  tony58 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 12:09 AM

Hi Longdogs. Thanks for your reply. I think it is just years of playing sports from an early age. Ever since I can remember, I was always kicking a ball or running around. I think the years have caught up and worn my knees away.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 12:20 AM

Hello Tony Mr Mags had a total knee replacement 18 months ago. At his pre-med he was given a booklet explaining all about the operation, what exercises to do before the actual op to strengthen his muscles. You will hopefully receive one of these booklets too as they also show you what exercises to do after to get you walking properly again.

I found this video which shows you some straightforward exercises you can start now. Hope it helps and good luck with your op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhuY4nBKpw
tony58
London, UK

17-01-2019, 12:22 AM

Hi Mags. Thank you very much. That is really helpful.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 05:13 AM

Hi Tony.
Mags has posted a very worthwhile and helpful video there. Some basic but effective leg exercises inparticular for the knees without using weights.

I'm no expert in exercising the knees in preparation for a knee replacement but I have suffered with arthritis over the past couple of years, perhaps concerning the "miniscus", which is an area just below the kneecap which is aggravated by certain movements which involve pulling.

In my case, and as a regular gym user, I found that the leg 'sled' press has virtually eliminated the painful twinges I experienced. It's basically a seated machine whereby you push on a platform at the front with your feet, lifting weights from a stack at the side. You don't need to go too heavy at all, just a few sets will do 2-3 times per week. Most leisure centres will have one of these machines in their gym area. It's also a superb piece of apparatus for the lower back too as it strengthens the upper leg quads and glutes which support the lower back at the spine.

I'm not saying you must join a gym though as you can do a similar exercise by 'squatting'. Crouch down with your back to a wall and slowly move yourself up and down by using the knee and thigh muscles. This is a DIY way to strengthen the legs and also stretches the muscles and joints adequately too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:51 AM

When my husband had his knee replacement he did very little exercises for his knees prior as he just couldn't move to do them it was so painful. He did however find exercising after it was most important and he still several years on does his exercises set by the physio each day before he starts work.
tony58
London, UK

17-01-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi Tony.
Mags has posted a very worthwhile and helpful video there. Some basic but effective leg exercises inparticular for the knees without using weights.

I'm no expert in exercising the knees in preparation for a knee replacement but I have suffered with arthritis over the past couple of years, perhaps concerning the "miniscus", which is an area just below the kneecap which is aggravated by certain movements which involve pulling.

In my case, and as a regular gym user, I found that the leg 'sled' press has virtually eliminated the painful twinges I experienced. It's basically a seated machine whereby you push on a platform at the front with your feet, lifting weights from a stack at the side. You don't need to go too heavy at all, just a few sets will do 2-3 times per week. Most leisure centres will have one of these machines in their gym area. It's also a superb piece of apparatus for the lower back too as it strengthens the upper leg quads and glutes which support the lower back at the spine.

I'm not saying you must join a gym though as you can do a similar exercise by 'squatting'. Crouch down with your back to a wall and slowly move yourself up and down by using the knee and thigh muscles. This is a DIY way to strengthen the legs and also stretches the muscles and joints adequately too.
Thanks Floydy, that's well worth a try..
tony58
London, UK

17-01-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When my husband had his knee replacement he did very little exercises for his knees prior as he just couldn't move to do them it was so painful. He did however find exercising after it was most important and he still several years on does his exercises set by the physio each day before he starts work.
Thanks Julie..
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 11:34 PM

I have had both of mine done, swimming was what I was advised to do. I srarted on ten lengths and gradually built it up to 32 which is a half mile in a 25metre pool. It built up the muscles above and below the knee and made it stronger for when the operation happens. I still swim 5 days a week as it does my joints good and keeps them supple and free moving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top