Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Re: Organic Slug & Snail Repellent

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's interesting Bratti, thank you.
I know my friend used that as a wormer for her poultry too.
She also sprinkles it about on the ground and bedding in her fox pens. (She rescues foxes).
She keeps poultry and rescues foxes!

That's very magnanimous of her!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I haven't used nematodes yet, as I've been out of gardening for a few years. They might be better for slugs than for weevils.

You can get ladybird larvae which are voracious devourers of aphids, so I am wondering if they would devour vine weevil larvae? Or are the larvae like mealworms? If the latter, the birds might welcome them!

I always swore by copper tape for slugs and snails, but obviously the plant has to be in a container and the soil clean of eggs. Plus, there should be be no overhanging plants next to the pot, else the wily snails climb up them and drop onto the target plant, bypassing the copper tape!

Maybe a combo of copper tape and nematodes?

I love hostas, and have a perfect shady bed for them, and would like to try and grow some again, but it is soul-destroying to see them chomped.

Thanks Pyxell. I haven't tried the copper tape, but as you say, that would not help plants in the ground, only in pots.

I have quite a few Ladybirds this year, but I doubt they could ear the Weeval lavae as the little maggoty looking blighters are 2-3 inches under the soil normally, munching away the plant's roots.

Failing that, perhaps I ought to send for some more Nematodes. I will think on that. Thanks again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
She keeps poultry and rescues foxes!

That's very magnanimous of her!

Yes. She had a few hens of her own, but a local animal rescue was desperate for homes for hens as they had just rescued 250! My friend took 12 of them.
She also has around 19 foxes (last count)!

I can smell 'em as I get out me car, they don't half pong don't they.

She also has about 12 cats too. Mad woman.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups I use the very fine grit in a circle around each plant , it is quite sharp so not easy for them to crawl over. I sometimes use 'collars' made from clear disposable plastic picnic mugs with the bottoms cut out similar to this made from a bottle but I don't have any of those...
The grit goes inside the ring.

Hmm... wonder if those collars would work more effectively by smearing a thin film of Vaseline over them so the slugs can't get a grip?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Yes. She had a few hens of her own, but a local animal rescue was desperate for homes for hens as they had just rescued 250! My friend took 12 of them.
She also has around 19 foxes (last count)!

I can smell 'em as I get out me car, they don't half pong don't they.

She also has about 12 cats too. Mad woman.
It's the cats that stink - damn things spraying everywhere.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-06-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's the cats that stink - damn things spraying everywhere.

Oh do stop griping you miserable old wotsit, Judsy.
She hasn't got any un-neutered Toms.

Anyway, there is no mistaking a fox smell, believe me. Stinks to high heaven it does . . . even worse than your socks.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 11:31 PM

That's interesting Bratti, thank you.
I know my friend used that as a wormer for her poultry too.
She also sprinkles it about on the ground and bedding in her fox pens. (She rescues foxes).
My pleasure. Yes it’s often used in chicken feed for parasite control.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Don't even start me on the subject Mups. I've been doing dawn and dusk patrols and this rain doesn't help. But a colleague at work mentioned that she has no slugs or snails on her veg because a gardener she has used put down some special sharp gravel that repels them. I'm thinking of trying it next year. I think it works a bit like eggshells but you don't have to eat a whole load of blinkin' eggs!
I tried that, there was an enormous snail on the patio which I picked up and threw over the fence last week, this morning there was a knock on the door, when I opened the door the snail was there ..he said, ‘what did you do that for?’

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 07:17 AM

Hi

The chemicals are out and being used full blast.

I am not a Food Bank for slugs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Hmm... wonder if those collars would work more effectively by smearing a thin film of Vaseline over them so the slugs can't get a grip?
Judd you can 'frill' the top the slugs can't climb over that.

You can now buy slug collars but they are expensive when you can make your own and they don't look great,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slug-Collar...utdoors&sr=1-3

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top