Join for free
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 08:23 PM

Roast potatoes

How do you roast your potatoes.

I normally part boil them, then put in the oven.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 08:29 PM

Re: Roast potatoes

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
How do you roast your potatoes.

I normally part boil them, then put in the oven.
Same here except that I drain them while in the pan and give them a good shake to rough them up a bit. They then go into a deep oven dish that has had oil or goose fat heated up in it. The spuds are chucked in, given a quick shake to cover with the oil/fat and then left in the oven (180C) until done. A shake mid-way through cooking is given to distribute the spuds and expose another area to the hot oil.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Same here except that I drain them while in the pan and give them a good shake to rough them up a bit. They then go into a deep oven dish that has had oil or goose fat heated up in it. The spuds are chucked in, given a quick shake to cover with the oil/fat and then left in the oven (180C) until done. A shake mid-way through cooking is given to distribute the spuds and expose another area to the hot oil.
Same here Judd, I par boil, well drain put the pan ack on the hear fot a seconds to dry off, followed by a few good shakes to fluff up the potatoes. I use goose or duck fat to roast for lovely golden crisp roasties.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 08:40 PM

Same as Judd, but coat them lightly with semolina prior to placing in roasting dish - helps give a light crispy finish.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 08:57 PM

I used to coat them with semolina but stopped for some reason. Maybe I threw the packet away and didn't replace it, but the coating did make for nice roasties.

And I par boil and shake, but I use vegetable oil for cooking mine.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 10:44 PM

Same as Judd here too! I love roasties!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 11:04 PM

I also par boil them and shake them in a colander but l shake them outside! I read this once and have done it ever since!
I’m not sure how it makes a difference? Maybe, they cool down outside?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Same as Judd, but coat them lightly with semolina prior to placing in roasting dish - helps give a light crispy finish.
I have also dusted mine with semolina in the past - I saw the tip on some cookery show or other. I put too much on the first time and the spuds ended up with an armour coating.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 12:18 AM

Parboil is so the way to go. I always do it. Then I mix a drop of light olive oil with some butter and a little bit of sweet chilli sauce. Roll the potatoes around in that then bake them in the oven. Only trick is to get the heat just right so they don't burn. About 170 deg cel.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 07:49 AM

Yes, it looks like we all do the same thing.

Thank you.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top